Hpw many fish can I add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgingersnap

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm doing a fishless cycle on a 48 gallon tank. Hopefully it will be ready for fish soon. I'm moving my fish into the 48 gallon from another tank that I have.
I want to move...
5 neons and 2 guppies first
2 young angelfish next
1 dwarf gourami next
2 albino cories next
Can I put the neons and guppies in at the same time? or is that too much at once?
How long do I wait between adding fish?
Also...if the water parameters are the same and the temp is the same, can I just transfer from one to the other or do I have to float them in a bag still?
Thanks everyone. :)

normally.. if adding from a pet store.. you add 3 fish every 2-3 weeks to let the bioload catchup. im sure the same would apply here.
And if all the parameters are the same.. that would be no problem from 1 tank to the other. as long as its almost exactly identical... (1-2 degrees off wont hurt anything..)

I would stick them in a bucket and drip acclimate them just to be safe. Just use some airline tubing with an adjustable air valve, or tie a knot to reduce the flow to a steady drip from the new tank. After 45 min to an hour they will be ready to go into the new tank. I think you could put both in together. That is a big tank and neons are small. The tank will adjust quick thanks to your fishless cycle. Just check ammonia and nitrites for a few days after adding the fish, and do a partial water change or 2 if either level climbs above .25-.5 ppm.

Of course if the other tank is still running u could add them over the course of a couple weeks to be safe.

i thought drip acclimation was mainly for higher end fish? All the neons ive ever had were pretty hardy... i wouldnt think that would be to big of a deal.

Its just considered the best way to do it. The next ways increase risk as you go down the ladder. Also, if you are doing a fishless cycle I would assume you could add everyone since your tank can currently handle a ridiculously large bio load it should be fine with your fish. Just my opinion.

As far as the acclimating goes I don't think you have any particularly sensitive fish. Its is just always safer to drip. If I were you I would go with the inbetween method just in case. Put your fish in a bucket of their current tank water and add like a cup full of new tank water till its filled up and empty some out and refill again and so on and so forth. This is a little easier than the drip method but still way better than net em and run to the new tank. lol

Put them all in.
The rediculously high levels of amonia used in fishless cycling is far more than all of your fish will produce combined.
I have never, ever, drip acclimated anything and have never lost a fish as a result. Since you are moving from one tank to another, both of which have your tap water. There should not be enough difference to matter.

Put them all in.
The rediculously high levels of amonia used in fishless cycling is far more than all of your fish will produce combined.
I have never, ever, drip acclimated anything and have never lost a fish as a result. Since you are moving from one tank to another, both of which have your tap water. There should not be enough difference to matter.

Could all be coincidence, but I lost a few fish prior to acclimating with the drip method. Since I started doing that, have not lost any fish. It is so easy to do, I figure better safe than sorry.

no that wouldnt be too much at once. i would get5 cories instead of 2 tho. they dont need to be added seperate all th cories at once would be fine. Angels are known predators to the neon tetras. but usually if raised together from a young age they will do fine. ur stocking list sounds good although i would be careful with the guppies they have nice long tails. the gourami and the angel might nipp at the guppies. if the fins on the guppies start to look rough then remove them. oh and you should be able to add new fish every 2-3 weeks.

I plan to get more cories to go with the 2 I have already. The guppies and neons are with the angelfish and gourami now and everyone gets along fine so far. The gourami picks on the angelfish every once in a while though but I figure once I get them in my bigger tank everything should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom