Hydra Invasion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
myriam said:
Gman, will this 400 tank system be in your new facility? The one in the pix here? And what exactly is a "centralized" system?

O.K. Here's where it gets a little complicated. We are building the centralized system as a test at the current location. A centralized system is what you would normally find at your lfs. All of the tanks are plumbed together and all the water goes through one large filtration system (mechanical and biological) and then back into each tank and then drains into a large trough - then the process starts all over again. We're going to start drilling tanks later today, so I'll take some pics of the framework and trough.

After testing this system for viability, and if it passes muster, we will then build 4 or 5 of them at the garage location pictured in my photo gallery. Where I am now will not hold more than 200 tanks - not without my claustrophobia kicking in. :roll: The garage should hold 200 to 300 tanks. That should last a lifetime.

I received an email confirming shipment of the corys, but don't know if UPS delivers today. The new guppies were shipped by USPS and should be here this afternoon. Will get pictures of all, as soon as possible. - Frank

Centralized System

Hi - Photo 1 shows the full primary rack, with the trough at the bottom. It is made from a pond liner and pressure treated wood. That's "Baby" guarding the project. I lied about the quantity. It's 60 tanks and not 54. There are 36 in the primary rack you see in the photo and 24 more in a secondary rack that will be moved into place along side the main rack - once the plumbing is in place. The second photo shows the mechanical and biological filtration system. I'm on my way to Home Depot to get a drill press. Today we start drilling tanks. Not fun. The glass in 10 G. tanks is thin and easy to break. We'll probably have to drill 80 to 90 tanks to get 60 that make it through the process. Text time I'll go with 20's. Much thicker glass. Wish me luck!!! - Frank

Holy cow, Gman, your setup is getting more and more complicated. I didn't know you could even drill holes in a fish tank. Thanks for enlightening me with this info, I'm so impressed!

Good luck with drilling. Post pix when it's all done. And of your new guppies and cories, too! You know I love seeing your amazing guppies. :)

Re: Centralized System

Guppyman said:
Text time I'll go with 20's. Much thicker glass. Wish me luck!!! - Frank

Next time? There's going to be a next time? :wink:

Do you get good discounts on supplies because (I assume) you have a business license?

Re: Centralized System

Sati said:
Next time? There's going to be a next time?

I meant that after the test system with 10 gallon tanks - I'm moving up to the 20's. :roll:

The new guppies and corys are here, but I haven't unpacked the boxes yet. Probably won't get pics up until tomorrow. - Frank

Back
Top Bottom