I dont think my Brackish tank is cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking of getting a figure 8 or some bumble bee gobies today but i have now decided against it. (i dont need a lecture on figure 8s and mudskippers not getting along)

I have had my tank set up for about 6 weeks. Three of those weeks i have had my mudskippers actually in the tank. i set up the tank took out a lot of the sand substrate and put it in the new tank. I also took the half of the filter out and put it in the new tank. I used pure ammonia for about a week to keep the bacteria alive and so they could multiply. I tested the ammonia levels after i put it in but i didnt test the other parameters until the day before i put the mudskippers in. nitrites=0ppm ammonia=0ppm nitrates=0-5ppm. now with this info i assumed it was cycled but now im pretty sure something is wrong.

The fish are currently in the tank but these little buggers can go through **hello and back but id rather they didnt.
I did a 10% partial water change today and i just tested the water and here are my results. nitrites=0ppm ammonia=.25-.5 ppm nitrates=0.

I changed the water at 2pm and tested it at 3am so 13 hours apart. I thought that the ammonia would be gone by now i will update you guys in the morning with another test result.

**can you believe they censor hello without the o?

I would try treating and testing the water straight from the source. My ammo goes to a .25 every time I do a water change just from the chloramines in the local water.

i tested the tank this morning and i got the same results. Is it possible that my bacteria died off?

Homer8 said:
i tested the tank this morning and i got the same results. Is it possible that my bacteria died off?

Did you treat your water before adding it when you did your water change?

I teated the tap water with water conditioner. I did that two days before i put the water in the tank

Back
Top Bottom