I have some tank upgrading questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fishfanatic said:
The tank measures 49" long, 19" wide and 22" tall. On the stand it is 50.5" l, 20" w and 51" t. It is set up for an under tank bi
This is the text my uncle sent me there is one more that I will post in a second. What is a bi?

No idea what "under tank bi" is. Sorry. Somebody might want to chime in...

Last edited:
roydooms said:
Yes it is 88g.

Does that change anything? Will the 10 gallon sump type thing and the fluval 305 be enough filteration for the tank? How do I figure out the par of my lights?

fishfanatic said:
This is all the bulbs say:
Zoo Med
F39T5/ MAX PLANT GROWTH
FLORA SUN
34 inch/ 863 mm
Made in Germany

I just did some research and found out that this bulb is 5,000K... Right now you have a 34" long fixture on a 49" long tank. You might get away with just planting in the middle or low light plants on the sides of tank. I still have no clue if you have low or medium light. But for sure it's not high.

Your filtration should be good enough for 88g.

Last edited:
roydooms said:
I just did some research and found out that this bulb is 5,000K... Right now you have a 34" long fixture on a 49" long tank. You might get away with just planting in the middle or low light plants on the sides of tank. I still have no clue if you have low or medium light. But for sure it's not high.

Your filtration should be good enough for 88g.

How much would it cost to get a fixture that would put.me at high light? I would still use my other 2 fixtures I just want to add another one.

I think so. Even with only that fixture. I bet it will have at least 2 different switches. So that all bulbs doesn't have to be on at the same time. Let me search for another place where you can buy fixtures like that...

roydooms said:
I think so. Even with only that fixture. I bet it will have at least 2 different switches. So that all bulbs doesn't have to be on at the same time. Let me search for another place where you can buy fixtures like that...

If I get the 4 bulb fixture I might consider getting rid of my other T5 ho fixture. That means on the 88 gallon I would have 4 t5 ho bulbs and the marineland led. The led would not go the full length of the tank but I think that will be ok.

fishfanatic said:
Is aquaticlife a good brand for lights?

The reviews that I read are good. Most are 4-4.5 out of 5. I don't have any experience with this light fixture though.

Last edited:
roydooms said:
The reviews that I read are good. Most are 4-4.5 out of 5. Although I don't have any experience with this light fixture.

One thing that I like about this fixture is that is it 'expandable'. My tank will look like it was set up by a red neck... 3 lighting fixtures lol

That should be fine. My future SW tank will have 2-dual fixtures.

fishfanatic said:
This is the fixture I want http://fishneedit.com/4ft4bulbs-with-l44.html
Do you think it will ever come back in stock?
The thought came to my head that my current t5 ho fixture will not span the whole tank and that I would have uneven light (that would bug an OCD person like me :))

For sure it will. Just keep checking every now and then. I want to buy the 48" dual but they are out of stock. So I am also waiting.

Lol. You would also have to build something for those fixtures to sit on. You don't want them just resting on the glass cover.

roydooms said:
For sure it will. Just keep checking every now and then. I want to buy the 48" dual but they are out of stock. So I am also waiting.

Lol. You would also have to build something for those fixtures to sit on. You don't want them just resting on the glass cover.

I don't want my aquarium to boil lol

roydooms said:

How long have you been waiting for that fixture to come into stock?

fishfanatic said:
I don't want my aquarium to boil lol

Lol. Also if the glass breaks and your fixture falls in the tank, it might electrocute you and your fish. Dangerous. A perfect fit fixture is your best bet.

My current fixture has extendable legs. Would I be at high light with the 4, 54 Watt t5 ho's and the led fixture?

fishfanatic said:
My current fixture has extendable legs. Would I be at high light with the 4, 54 Watt t5 ho's and the led fixture?

Very high. 3 T5s should be fine plus the LED. I have 6 bulbs on my 125g but I only use 4. WPG doesn't work with bigger tanks. You can probably experiment on that. I used to have all 6 bulbs on and had an algae outbreak after a few weeks. Turned off the other 2 and split the photoperiod and algae is gone. You'll figure out if you'll need all the 4 lights. Start with just 2 lights and see how your plants are doing. Then turn on the other one, observe for a week and see if you need more or less. You can only balance so much light, CO2 and fertilizers. More light requires more CO2 and ferts. You don't want to go over 40ppm on your CO2.

Back
Top Bottom