I have some tank upgrading questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
roydooms said:
Very high. 3 T5s should be fine plus the LED. I have 6 bulbs on my 125g but I only use 4. WPG doesn't work with bigger tanks. You can probably experiment on that. I used to have all 6 bulbs on and had an algae outbreak after a few weeks. Turned off the other 2 and split the photoperiod and algae is gone. You'll figure out if you'll need all the 4 lights. Start with just 2 lights and see how your plants are doing. Then turn on the other one, observe for a week and see if you need more or less. You can only balance so much light, CO2 and fertilizers. More light requires more CO2 and ferts. You don't want to go over 40ppm on your CO2.

Will that fixture I posted allow me to run 3 bulbs? I know that some fixtures will not work if you take out a bulb

If it has a switch that will allow that. Just start with 2 then 4.

Should I keep my current fixtures and put them on the new tank? All 3 of those fixtures would fit on the tank.

If you'll get the 4 lamp fixture, I don't think it's necessary to have the other 2.

roydooms said:
If you'll get the 4 lamp fixture, I don't think it's necessary to have the other 2.

I am going to keep the leds (I like the shimmer effect and the night mode). Will you let me know when those fixtures are in stock? What brand is that fixture I linked (I couldn't find a brand)

I think you'll be fine with the fixture you have on there now, the 2x39w. If you needed more coverage, add the LED and see where you are at. No sense in throwing tons of money for an unnecessary amount of light. Unless you are really up for constantly balancing your ferts out.

High light, low light, medium light are all just generic terms, there isn't a magical threshold separating them.

fishfanatic said:
I am going to keep the leds (I like the shimmer effect and the night mode). Will you let me know when those fixtures are in stock? What brand is that fixture I linked (I couldn't find a brand)

I couldn't find the brand either. If I see it on stock I'll let you know. You should also check if it's back in stock.

jetajockey said:
I think you'll be fine with the fixture you have on there now, the 2x39w. If you needed more coverage, add the LED and see where you are at. No sense in throwing tons of money for an unnecessary amount of light. Unless you are really up for constantly balancing your ferts out.

You really think 78 Watts of light over a 88 gallon tank is enough to grow dwarf baby tears? + the LEDs

That's good if he doesn't have to get a new fixture. Will his high light plants still thrive? That is his main concern regarding the lighting.

Okay first off, stop talking wattage, it's pointless when it comes to t5 lighting.

Yes I think it'll be fine, but that's just me. I'm the kind of person that tries something out before spending hundreds of dollars on a new fixture that is likely to be way too much light.

If you are trying to go ultra high tech, then go with a light upgrade, but I don't see the harm in using what you have now and seeing how it goes, it doesn't cost anything, and the plants are not going to just die off or anything. I know people who grow the same stuff with far less.

I mean if you are just in the mood to throw more money at the tank, then go for it, it's just not my style.

Roy already linked the chart, let it speak for itself.

jetajockey said:
Okay first off, stop talking wattage, it's pointless when it comes to t5 lighting.

Yes I think it'll be fine, but that's just me. I'm the kind of person that tries something out before spending hundreds of dollars on a new fixture that is likely to be way too much light.

If you are trying to go ultra high tech, then go with a light upgrade, but I don't see the harm in using what you have now and seeing how it goes, it doesn't cost anything, and the plants are not going to just die off or anything. I know people who grow the same stuff with far less.

I mean if you are just in the mood to throw more money at the tank, then go for it, it's just not my style.

Roy already linked the chart, let it speak for itself.

That is the way to go! If I need to upgrade latter then I can, but like you said no need to spend $$. The only thing I need to buy for this tank is a new heater. How many Watts will I need the heater to be? Could I run 2 heaters and still use the 150 Watt heater I have plus another heatear?

Last edited:
There you go.

Just to be safe, some people run 2 heaters in a tank in case one malfunctions. Rated for the tank size.

I just got a crazy idea tell me if it is too crazy... could I use my 40 gallon tank as a sump for my 88 gallon tank? Would this make a good filter for a freshwater planted tank?

jetajockey said:
Yeah running multiple heaters is always good. I suggest jager but there are a few good brands.

Could I just run 2 150 Watt heaters? Sorry about all the questions

Yes and Yes. You might want to get a bigger heater, but they would work together in tandem. It also depends on how hot you plan on making the tank vs the ambient room temp. I'd just get a bigger one rated for the tank size, it's not much more than a smaller one.

A sump is a great idea also.

jetajockey said:
Yes and Yes. You might want to get a bigger heater, but they would work together in tandem. It also depends on how hot you plan on making the tank vs the ambient room temp. I'd just get a bigger one rated for the tank size, it's not much more than a smaller one.

A sump is a great idea also.

I am unfamiliar with how sumps work let alone how to build one. Is there a thread that would walk me through building one or at least explain how they work?

well the basic concept is that you have a sump tank under the main tank, on one side the excess water(an overflow) from the main tank drains down into the sump tank, and then on the other side, a pump pushes the water back up and into the tank.

I'm sure a google search would yield many results. Most overflows are drilled in, but there is a way to DIY an overflow as well.

The tank already has an overflow :). And my uncle just updated me on the damentions and it is a 70 gallon tank (the first time he gave me the outer tank size)

sweet. There's no reason you shouldn't do a sump then, its awesome filtration, cheap, and the extra water volume helps your bioload stocking capability.

Plus, you can hide stuff in the sump, like heaters.

Back
Top Bottom