I jumped in the deep end a little too quick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wheelspin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, I'm new to this hobby and I made a grave mistake. After being intrigued by tropical fish tanks for quite some time, about 3 weeks ago I decided it was time for me to get a tank. But I stupidly did not do my research.
I bought a 15 gallon long tank, sand as the substrate, two plants and.... Don't kill me.... 14 fish (and pump heater food etc).
The fish I purched were:
2 clown loaches
4 guppies
4 neon tetras
2 white mollys
2glass catfish
Yes, I bought this all in the one day. I came home, set the tank, got the water to the correct temperature and put the fish in there. Two days later I had my first casualty. One of the glass catfish had died. At this point I did not know about having to cycle a tank or anything like that so I put it down to bad luck. The next day, the other catfish died as well. Luckily this day, my cousin came over and told me about 'new tank syndrome'. he knew this from the red gills of the mollys and the clown loach losing its colour. From this day forward, I restricted the amount of food I fed the fish and did a 30% water change every day. Within the next week, two neon tetras and one Molly died. I have not had a casualty within the last two weeks.
This brings me to my question: is my tank now cycled?
The clown loach which was fading is now back to normal, the White molly no longer has any red at all around its gills, the guppies are not gulping for oxygen at all and the fish seem generally healthy. I have not done a water change in the last 3 days and everyone and everything seems fine.

I know tanks usually take a bit longer than 3 weeks to cycle, but would the number of fish I had make it go along faster? As right now when I'm looking in the tank, it seems "normal".

I know I should get a test kit, but I am unable for the next week. My cousin is giving up the hobby and wants to give me a few of his fish and this would be before I would be able to get a test kit. I just do not want to accidentally kill any more fish.

Thank you for any advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Please don't crucify me, I have learnt my lesson the hard way.

I won't crucify you, I think most of us have all been here in this position or one similar.

I wouldn't say it's cycled just keep monitoring the water quality. Do you have an API master test kit to test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I recommend these for helping with your cycle. Toxic Ammonia and nitrite should be 0 and nitrate be positive readings.

Don't worry you only learn from your mistakes. Also I highly suggest you take your clown loaches back as they get huge and also research what fish you can keep in a 15 gal. There's not a lot...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I won't crucify you, I think most of us have all been here in this position or one similar.

I wouldn't say it's cycled just keep monitoring the water quality. Do you have an API master test kit to test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I recommend these for helping with your cycle. Toxic Ammonia and nitrite should be 0 and nitrate be positive readings.

Don't worry you only learn from your mistakes. Also I highly suggest you take your clown loaches back as they get huge and also research what fish you can keep in a 15 gal. There's not a lot...

Thanks for your response.
I do not have a test kit yet, I am waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Do you think it would okay to add more fish? Or should I just wait until the test kit comes in?

On the clown loaches, I intend on getting a much larger tank sometime within the next couple of months so they will be transferred before they get too large for the tank.

Thanks for your response.
I do not have a test kit yet, I am waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Do you think it would okay to add more fish? Or should I just wait until the test kit comes in?

On the clown loaches, I intend on getting a much larger tank sometime within the next couple of months so they will be transferred before they get too large for the tank.

A larger tank really means MUCH larger. Like, a 6 foot long, 125 gallon tank at the minimum, 150-180 gallons really is best. You'll also need at least 6 clown loaches. These fish can live 20 or even 30 years. They really are the best fish, among my favorite of all time, but please don't hang onto them unless you intend to commit to all that.

Don't add more fish until you have the test kit and can measure the quality of your water. Without that information it's impossible to know if it's safe or not.

A larger tank really means MUCH larger. Like, a 6 foot long, 125 gallon tank at the minimum, 150-180 gallons really is best. You'll also need at least 6 clown loaches. These fish can live 20 or even 30 years. They really are the best fish, among my favorite of all time, but please don't hang onto them unless you intend to commit to all that.

Don't add more fish until you have the test kit and can measure the quality of your water. Without that information it's impossible to know if it's safe or not.

While this may be true there is not a rush on getting a home for the clowns. Clowns are very slow growers and take years to get a decent size. I would direct the main focus to making sure your tank is cycled. Once your test kit arrives we can help you along with your cycle. In the meantime, keep up with water changes. During a cycle the BB in your filter are trying to absorb ammonia and nitrite in the tank. The BB can't do this right away so it's important to keep up with water changes so your fish are not affected by things such as ammonia burns.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

While this may be true there is not a rush on getting a home for the clowns. Clowns are very slow growers and take years to get a decent size. I would direct the main focus to making sure your tank is cycled. Once your test kit arrives we can help you along with your cycle. In the meantime, keep up with water changes. During a cycle the BB in your filter are trying to absorb ammonia and nitrite in the tank. The BB can't do this right away so it's important to keep up with water changes so your fish are not affected by things such as ammonia burns.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yes, they grow slowly. But the end game is still a 6 foot minimum tank. If they fully intend on that great but if not they should really bring the loaches back. Especially because being scaleless makes them more susceptible to ammonia; clown loaches have no business in a cycling tank.

Yes, they grow slowly. But the end game is still a 6 foot minimum tank. If they fully intend on that great but if not they should really bring the loaches back. Especially because being scaleless makes them more susceptible to ammonia; clown loaches have no business in a cycling tank.

Agreed and that was my point. Cycling this tank is more important. Clown loaches are hardier than most other loaches. With water changes and testing I'm sure they will come out with minimal damage.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Without knowing the ammonia level we cant really give good advice. Id suggest taking a sample of your water in to a lfs and they can test it for you. From there we can make plans.

One thing I can say for sure, is absolutely no new fish.

When you get your water tested you will know what needs to be done. We are looking at ammonia to be no higher than 0.25ppm as well as nitrite.

+1 go to the fish store with a water sample. They should test it for you. I also recommend doing a precautionary 50% water change ASAP. If you have Seachem Prime, I would add a double-dose. Prime will detoxify small amounts of ammonia. In your case, until you get your test kit, keep doing water changes daily. Ask your friend for a piece of established filter media, and add it to your filter. Otherwise, your cycle might take a really long time, which can be very frustrating.

Read this:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

You could pop to your LFS and ask for some cycled media add that too speed things up.
Also when you are doing your water changes please make sure you add de-chlorinator to make it safe for the fish.
Add an air pump if you can aswell.
Make sure your filter is agitating the top of the water to keep the water aerated.
You can also but a single test strip for you local pet shop to test your water while you wait for your test kit too come in the post.
Post your results when you get them

P.s we all started somewhere and made the same mistakes you live and you learn

20 gallon fancy goldfish tank
150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank

Maybe try an return the clown loach to the pet store if you go back to get your water sampled?
An we've all made mistakes, trust me on that

Back
Top Bottom