I need suggestions on a brackish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ltjpezking200

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am thinking about starting a brackish tank. I have a freshwater 10 gallon and by next year I plan to a 50 or 55 freshwater. I really don't know of any brackish fish. Can anyone recommend some fish so I can have a nice brackish tank. It doesn't matter if its peaceful or agressive.

That website is not a very reliable source to go by, I suggest doing a google search and posting around on some forums before you commit. Most brackish fish are in actuality SW fish and need so when they become sub-adult/adult.
Fish like monos and scats get FAR too large for a 55g as they need to be in groups of 5 or more, otherwise they become extremely aggressive or they become un-happy and reclusive. Others like the Green spotted puffer are extremely aggressive and require extra special care. I suggest starting with some mollies and bb gobies if you have no previous BW/SW experience.

That website is not a very reliable source to go by
But, it's a place to start.

Research will be the key to keeping a nice BW tank. Aside from a Molly and bb goby tank, you could do a tank with only a couple of dwarf puffers.

dwarf puffers are STRICTLY FW, they're not brackish water fish. BW puffers are actually in the minority when dealing with puffers, there are only a handful of puffers that are BW. Most are SW, but there are quite a few species that are only FW.

i think theres 3. the carniotetradon tranvcorious/imitator. and im not sure but i think fig 8's are 2

I decided to go brackish with my latest setup. I decided to go with mollies and rainbow fish. I went with sailfins because of their size, some turquoise rainbows, some ornate rainbows and a few neon dwarf rainbows. I wanted some schooling fish and went with x-ray fish or pristella tetras. They tend to breed in brackish water and don't have a problem with it. Also glowlight tetras can handle a wide range of conditions. I'm trying them out in a brackish tank to see how they do.

Now one thing to remember is that brackish starts around 1.005 and just about any fish can tolerate 1.003 to 1.005. Rainbows and mollies like 1.005 to 1.008. Most other brackish fish will require higher salinity numbers and will pretty much be monospecies. I keep my tank just under 1.005.

Most rainbows are FW. The rainbow that prefers BW is the celebes. BW is anything over 1.000. There are may fish that would rather not be in any kind of salt at all, for example: the softwater species.

I did some more research on rainbows and the ones I listed above are inland species and not brackish. My mistake, my source listed all rainbows as brackish, it was an old book. Many rainbows are brackish, I'm just not sure which ones, there's not enough info out there on them.

I recently transfered my mollies a different tank so that they are by them selves. There are some corries in there and they don't mind the salt. I'm going to reduce the salt level on my other tank with the rainbows and tetras in it.

Thanks for the reminder about the rainbows.

Back
Top Bottom