I think I stole a fish..lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool thanks, I guess that puts me on the hunt tomorrow for cories, shame really I was really looking forward to paying bills and cleaning house...Oh-well you do what ya gotta do...LOL

I would do 4 as a minimum. They need the numbers, trust me, it is much better that way. They will get very playful. You will be fine with 4 or 5 as they should be the only bottom dwellers you will have. The betta is not aggressive with anyone but its own kind.

Forgive me if I sound irritating, but bettas are aggressive with many different types of fish other than their own kind. I even saw one male attack a mystery snail much larger than him. :/

Forgive me if I sound irritating, but bettas are aggressive with many different types of fish other than their own kind. I even saw one male attack a mystery snail much larger than him. :/

Nope, i have kept bettas with nearly everything. Matter of fact you have to be careful what you put with them as there long fins make things target them. Things like danios and barbs will absolutely tear a betta apart. You have to pick calm or none aggressive things to put in with them. The reason why you probably saw a betta bite a snail is because it saw its eye or tentacle and it bit it thinking it was food.

Well, I wouldn't call it biting.

He grabbed onto it, flipped it over, and ripped it to shreds. By the time I managed to pull it out, there wasn't much left of it. It just didn't retract quickly enough. It didn't look like feeding behavior to me.

However, this male had just had a very unsuccessful spawning session and he seemed very unhappy for a few minutes afterwards. Not sure if it had something to do with it.

It just depends on the betta. There was a girl on here not long ago, who was having problems with her betta attacking the cories, and they had to be separated. I have 2 bettas I would put with other fish, and two I would not even THINK about putting into a community.

I found 3 more cories over the weekend so now I have Felony and 5 little cories in a 10 gallon, I hope that's not too much I don't have a lot of experience with such a small tank (other than the one tank 5 goldfish fiasco when I about 12 years old). I have to say these are quite possibly the smallest fish I have ever bought they look like little flies buzzing around in the tank.

just realised i missed 4 pages of the conversation, sounds (and looks, gorgeous fish!) like Felony is doing great, love the name by the way!

LOL I do that all the time. Felony is great and so are the 5 cories, that's what I call them "Felony and the 5 Cories" and I say it like I'm introducing the next act...drives my husband absolutely nuts.

Just intruding a moment on the betta friend or foe thing.

As was said, it depends on the fish themselves. We had a female that would kill anything we put with her. She killed numerous corys, mystery snails and neon tetras. She hated neons so much she'd actually shake them like a ragdoll. I would have to net her and use my planting tweezers to get the neon out of her mouth. When her male (divided tank) swam close to the divider she'd attack the divider after flaring her fins at him. Our other bettas are all living with other fish: corys, guppies, platys ghost shrimp and get along just fine.

hehe i think i just joined the criminal underworld too. of the 2 mollies i bought yesterday 1 didnt survive the trip home so i took it back to the store today and they replaced it. i also got another adult free and i noticed 2 fry in the tank and mentioned to the guy that i wouldnt be all that upset if they somehow found their way into the bag (said with fluttering eyelashes and everything :p) so i now have 2 adults and 2 fry to replace 1 adult.

amazing what a quick flutter of the eyelashes will get you. i got a discount off my new shoes the other day in much the same way. the hubby was stood with his arm around me too so quite HOW it worked, i don't know!

great save!

i love and loathe some stores around here.. all WM... one i called dept of agriculture because the lady in charge of the fish gave me attitude about cleaning the betta bowls ( you couldn't see the fish)

another WM is the only place besides online i will buy fish at.. both local petsmarts sold me sick fish EVERY time i went there.. i got sick of the 14 day policy! every time they would say your water is fine.. i took a test of their water and it was godawful. the fish were kept in high salt to suppress disease, then my tank would make em sick!

but anyway, cheers to all of us policing the stores.. gotta keep em honest.

Just a quick question regarding your water parameters. When you added these cory did you do some ammonia/nitrIte testing? That's quite an increase in bioload going from practially nothing (single betta) to a relatively stocked tank.

I have always wondered this... Are customers allowed to get the fish themselves at walmart? I asked someone to help me out and he said hold on let me get someone.... 30 minutes later he came back to see if I was helped... NOPE! Then we went away again and came back 20 minutes later and just told me to get the fish myself.... I was like ****... well okay... So I grabbed 15 fish ( 5 balas and 10 tigers) and only paid for 10 of them for the inconvenience...

BTW the beta looks great!

That's funny as heck chompsticks.. :) I feel like I would have done the same.. I try my best to support my local stores. (even petco and petsmart) by picking up some food or some small things when I go in to see their fish, but if they can't even come around to say hi or even make themselves available, I will not buy a thing..

amazing what a quick flutter of the eyelashes will get you. i got a discount off my new shoes the other day in much the same way. the hubby was stood with his arm around me too so quite HOW it worked, i don't know!

if your good enough at fluttering they shouldnt notice anything else! lol. and well done. discount on shoes is always good.

Just a quick question regarding your water parameters. When you added these cory did you do some ammonia/nitrIte testing? That's quite an increase in bioload going from practially nothing (single betta) to a relatively stocked tank.

Of course I did and I honestly thought I would see some change but I didn't, but having said that I have also done 30-50% pwc's twice a week just to be on the safe side. With exception to this week because my Father in law had a stroke and we have been spending most of our days (and nights) at the hospital.

Back
Top Bottom