Ich problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently upgraded to a bigger tank and since I've upgraded all my fish, except for one have died of ich. In my old tank (which I had set up for a year) I had no problems of ich and as soon as I upgrade tanks, boom my fish die of ich! I know how to test ich, but I've been told that treating it won't help and that I'll have to drain my tank, clean it out with vinegar and restart everything all over again! Is this true? All my parameters have been good for about half a year. Even after I upgraded tanks I tested my water and the only thing that was a little high were my nitrates. I've never had a heater, but the temperature has always been pretty constant. So do I really need to clean my tank out with vinegar and start my cycle all over again?

Generally I find once I've treated for ich and the tank has been clear for two weeks, I don't get a re-occurrence. In theory ich could live only in the gills (check if any flashing), but generally I find I either have an ich outbreak everywhere or I don't.

I recently upgraded to a bigger tank and since I've upgraded all my fish, except for one have died of ich. In my old tank (which I had set up for a year) I had no problems of ich and as soon as I upgrade tanks, boom my fish die of ich! I know how to test ich, but I've been told that treating it won't help and that I'll have to drain my tank, clean it out with vinegar and restart everything all over again! Is this true? All my parameters have been good for about half a year. Even after I upgraded tanks I tested my water and the only thing that was a little high were my nitrates. I've never had a heater, but the temperature has always been pretty constant. So do I really need to clean my tank out with vinegar and start my cycle all over again?

Once the tank has been successfully treated for ich, then you will never get another outbreak of it until you add a fish that is infected with ich.

In rare cases, ich may be at low levels of infection which would require pristine water, a lightly stocked tank, and very healthy fish. So if you haven't added any new fish recently, bravo to you for doing an excellent job keeping fish. If that is the case for your tank; then any stressor (upgrading tank) could drop the resistance of your fish down and cause an outbreak.

If you've added a fish recently; it's best practice to quarantine new arrivals for up to 6ish weeks before adding to the display tank.

Most often ich can be successfully treated by simply raising the temperature of the water 1 - 2 degrees every hour to 86 degrees and maintaining it at that level for 2 weeks after the last signs of ich disappears. The high heat disrupts the life cycle of ich causing it to die off.

Ich needs a host to survive so without any livestock in the tank it cant last very long. As noted above, heat is an excellent way to rid a tank of ich. I slowly raise the temp up to 90 and keep it there for at least 10 days after the last white spot on a fish was visible. The heat speeds up the ich's life cycle and also makes it less able to find/attach to a host. There is a small window for it to be able to find a host and having that sped up increases your chances at success. It should be noted there is also a very small window for any sort of commercially available treatment to actually attack the ich as well. I'm pretty sure meds are useless against the ich except for that period of time when it is seeking a host.

Just saw first signs of ich on my tang. Got her from a questionable shop and I think she came with it. Bought kick ich and began treating. After reading this I turned the heater up. Any chance this will work. Qt and destroying my tank are not an option.

Just saw first signs of ich on my tang. Got her from a questionable shop and I think she came with it. Bought kick ich and began treating. After reading this I turned the heater up. Any chance this will work. Qt and destroying my tank are not an option.

Are you looking to treat for FW or SW? Just in case this thread is in FW. Generally best to start your own thread anyways.

You have got to get a QT tank. I will keep saying this as you keep having issues. I am confused because in the past you have said you don't have the money for a QT tank, yet you just upgraded your tank...?

Back
Top Bottom