Ideas on small active fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatic_Adam

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, I have a 10 gallon planted and I currently only have a singular sparkling gourami, some corydoras Habrosus and some kuhli loaches. I'm looking for any ideas on a small fish that will be active. Preferably a schooling fish. Any ideas? I was looking into maybe a few cardinal tetras?

Cardinal tetras and neon tetras would work, as well as celestial pearl danios, rasbora briggatae, and many other species of microrasbora.

Well I have some galaxy rasboras who will probably be moved to another tank for breeding. But they weren't very active? They preferred to hide. And currently when I look into my tank, it looks like I'm keeping a tank of plants and driftwood...haha

Guppies are fairly active. Or platties. They're not exactly schoolers but they're social.

Yeah, one thing I am concerned about is finding a fish who isn't too bossy, my sparkling gourami is also I hider...I was also looking at possibly some endlers

I'm feeling like the cardinals are they way to go, what size school should I go with? 5? 7? And would I be able to reintroduce my galaxy rasboras after I breed them? SO MANY QUESTIONS

6 would probably be a good number. But I wouldn't have your rasboras and them in there; that'd be overstocked for a 10 gallon.

Good choice! I love cardinal tetras... Try and get some big ones as they will be hardier than the little ones. I get my big cardinals at petsmart and little ones at my lfs.

I have a school of harlequin espei (aka: porkchop rasbora, narrow wedge rasbora) in my 10g tank, and they are pretty active. I also have 3 pygmy/sparkling gourami in the same tank, and they get along OK.

Sorry, for your loss... Well, at least he has moved onto a better place. :) Do you know what exactly happened?

I have neons and harlequin rasborias and for active fish I would go with har rasborias they are very active and fun to watch they luv playing in the water fall the filter makes I think u would be very happy with them

TotallyCoral said:
Sorry, for your loss... Well, at least he has moved onto a better place. :) Do you know what exactly happened?

I'm not exactly sure but probably stress got the better of him. I had to move him. I am in college and live 2 hours away from my parents. He probably was too stressed my the trip. I always hate trying to move fish that like. :(

Well in response to my gourami dying, I am probably going to keep my galaxy rasboras in there. Does that change any opinions on small active schooling fish? Currently I have 3 galaxies.

jimenezlee said:
Don't know if they are compatible, but it doesn't get more active and inexpensive than zebra danios

The only thing I worry about with zebra daniosis that they are a little TOO active for the galaxies...haha. I'm really just looking for a small fish who want really hide. Like I said. I have a ten gallon that looks like it's only got plants in there...haha

Harlequin rasborias would be a perfect choice get like 5 or 6 their small won't hide and will do great in ur tank

I bought 6 guppies for my tank, 3 pairs and all 6 were very active and social. I have since given 3 away, and have 3 remaining (one of each pair) and they have calmed down some. The tank has a school of 6 neon tetra's and sometimes I catch a tetra hanging with the guppies or vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom