Im back. Freshwater this tiime instead of reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fijiwigi said:
My Ph was off the charts. I have hard water. Not sure IF I should mess with that at all. Just leave it be.

Off the top of the high range chart? Just to be clear, the pH in the tank or the pH of water straight out the tap? Just like salt water tanks, stability is key. But, unlike salt water tanks, their really is no specific value that you need to maintain. There are three pH values you need to know... The pH of the tank, the pH of the tap water straight out of the tap and the pH of the same tap water after it has gassed out for 24 hours. If the pH of the gassed out tap water is still off the chart then you MIGHT want to consider doing a mix of tap and RO/DI. You can't use straight RO/DI without adding back in minerals, it is not good for the fish.

Reactions: jlk
High end of.the high Ph scale. At least 8.0 reading. But id assume as long as its constant. Comes oUT of the tap like that

fijiwigi said:
High end of.the high Ph scale. At least 8.0 reading. But id assume as long as its constant. Comes oUT of the tap like that

Aerate some tap water for 24 hours and test again, that will be the waters true pH.
If you have a small jug and an air pump (or a bucket and a power head), just sit and let it run for 24 hours, that's the best way. If you don't, then find a shallow container and give the water a stir every so often.

+1
Even if your still comes back at 8 after letting it after aerating for 24hrs, this is no big deal. My tap sits around this number as well (and I keep fancies) and most goldfish breeders prefer a higher ph for goldies, too. No big deal. If it was reading 8.8, then you would have a bit of an issue. Just take your time acclimating any new fish you purchase in the future. A stable ph is the most important thing. :)

Back
Top Bottom