Instant cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpgmomma8404

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 3 gallon that I want to set up for a female betta. I have had the filter I bought for it in my 10 gallon for about a week now (tank has been established for months now, has a male betta and snails). I’m thinking about taking some water out of my 10 gallon and putting it in the 3 gallon when I finally am able to set it up. Would that almost be like an instant cycle? Or would I still have to let the tank sit around for a bit? I was thinking about grabbing the female when I get the rest of the stuff I needed for the tank but I wanted to double check before I did anything.

Will the 3 gallon have a filter and heater?

Yup, the filter I have for it has been running in my 10 gallon for about a week maybe longer. I can't seem to remember when I bought that filter now for some reason. I'll be buying a heater here soon hopefully. That is one of the few things I have left to get for the tank.

Water from the old tank won't help a cycle. But having the filter in the old tank certainly will. Take some media from the filter in the older tank, put into the new filter, put onto the Betta tank and you will have virtually an instant cycle. Should be able to put the fish in right away, but keep an eye on the test values for a week or so to be certain the BB in the filter have grown enough to keep the water values under control. I've had a tank cycle in a day using a good size chunk of old media in a new filter, and it's how I start all new tanks.

Back
Top Bottom