Irresistible Deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I absolutely need to talk my dad into getting it? I've been looking for a ten gallon to do a Betta sorority.

Bettababe1011 said:
Okay, I'm guessing this is a wonderful, never ever gonna happen again deal right?

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pet/2349031715.html

I'd buy the tank, throw away everything that came with it, scrub the whole thing down like crazy, buy all new gravel, filter media and deco. You don't know what happened to the tank that made it empty and to be on sale for $20, but yeah it's a good deal.

i guessing perfect for another betta tank :D

i'm always wanting to buy any tank i see on craigslist for a cheap price..the boyfriend on the other hand rather save that money up for a big tank.

Okay. So I should just buy a kit? This could be the difference between my dad saying yes and no... *heart sinks*

Walmart sells the same tank with a brand new filter and lightbulb and lid for 29$

I guess I would've lost $ too. If I'd seen that at a yard sale, I'd have talked them down to $15 and walked away happy, lol.

Now looking for the price at Walmart's website for the kit, it won't find me a store. Stupid Walmart....

Bettababe1011 said:
Now looking for the price at Walmart's website for the kit, it won't find me a store. Stupid Walmart....

That's sad!! Two walmarts around me have that deal going on! The 5g aquariums are 27$ for all I named, and the 10gs are 29$. It's insane. I just dont have room for one. If I had a permanent place, I'd buy ten lol.

eco23 said:
I'd buy the tank, throw away everything that came with it, scrub the whole thing down like crazy, buy all new gravel, filter media and deco. You don't know what happened to the tank that made it empty and to be on sale for $20, but yeah it's a good deal.

If she did what you suggested, wouldn't that just be a used 10g tank with light and hood for $20? I don't know if I'd call that a good deal...

James_in_MN said:
If she did what you suggested, wouldn't that just be a used 10g tank with light and hood for $20? I don't know if I'd call that a good deal...

I've never shopped for small tanks. Like I said, if I saw a 10 gallon tank at a yard sale with a filter housing, light fixture, etc... And I got it for $15-20 I'd walk away happy. I would never use the same gravel or deco unless I spent hours sanitizing it. It's a $20 bill, if you can't drop $20 for a tank...it's the wrong hobby to be in.

It's an ok deal, not bad since you get a filter and gravel. IMO there is no need to pitch the gravel unless you just don't like it. I personally wouldn't worry about pathogens/parasites in a tank that's been running empty, simply because they would need a host (fish) to survive.

If you're really worried about it, you can use a solution of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water and soak the gravel in a bucket. Rinse copiously and hit it with a big dose of dechlorinator- this will neutralize any remaining bleach (chlorine).

One thing about the kit tanks- the cheapest ones typically come with incandescent hoods. That's ok, but remember that there's going to be additional cost involved with replacing those incandescents for screw in compact fluorescents. I would never recommend using incandescents; they run really hot compared to CFLs and are really inefficient. You'll never keep the temp stable with them. The tank in the CL ad appears to have a single tube fluorescent hood. Judging from the pic, it works, so you could just roll with that until it burns out.

On an entirely different topic, I wouldn't recommend a betta sorority. They can work, but if you don't have a backup plan for your 6 females, then what happens if it doesn't? I've heard of many folks that tried it out and all the females did fine together for months... then all of a sudden, they had a massacre on their hands. The minimum I would even attempt a sorority in would be a 20 long. A 10 gallon just doesn't afford them enough space to claim their territories IMO. FWIW, I have tried keeping multiple females together and it didn't work out. My tank was a heavily planted 45 gallon community, and they sought each other out to fight regardless of the ample space and plant cover. I ended up separating them.

*heart sinks even more*

Well, I'll have to figure out something completely different.

Can you guys go to my thread 'Ten Gallon Stocking Help' if you haven't already?

I really want a ten gallon in my room at my dad's apartment because the sound of water and having the aquarium in the room is very relaxing and helps me fall asleep. A ten gallon is the only thing that'll fit.

I have two of the kits at my Mom's house already. One holds a frog and snail, one holds a male Betta. Neither of those ever have a temperature change unless I change the temp on purpose. It has the same lights I'd have in the one I'm gonna buy.

I just have decided to beg my dad to buy me a new one.

not a bad price for a fully setup and ready to go tank. Irresistible though? nah.

I've run into a few irresistible CL deals. One was my 125g w/ stand for 100 dollars. Another was (16) 15 gallon tanks for 60 dollars. And the other was as many 40g breeder tanks as I could fit in the truck and trailer for 10 dollars each (ended up with 12 along with a few 20L's @ 10 each and some 10g's at 5 each)

jetajockey said:
not a bad price for a fully setup and ready to go tank. Irresistible though? nah.

I've run into a few irresistible CL deals. One was my 125g w/ stand for 100 dollars. Another was (16) 15 gallon tanks for 60 dollars. And the other was as many 40g breeder tanks as I could fit in the truck and trailer for 10 dollars each (ended up with 12 along with a few 20L's @ 10 each and some 10g's at 5 each)

I've already decided not to get this one. The answers actually had surprised me. And ruined my whole plan and reason for buying another tank. ;)

But I need another tank, so I need ideas for stocking. Can you help me in my other thread?

Back
Top Bottom