Is my tank cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! I have a 28 gal tank with 3 fish in it. It's been cycling for over a week and I was recently told to do 50% pwc daily while it's cycling. Yesterday the water test results before the 50% pwc were:

pH:7.6
NO2: 1.5ppm
NO3: 10ppm
Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm
KH: 30ppm
GH:45ppm

Today they were:

pH: 7.2
NO2: 1ppm
NO3: 30ppm
Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm
KH: 0ppm
GH:30ppm

Should I continue with the daily pwc? I'm also a bit worried that my water seems so soft. Eventually my tank will be holding:
8 neon tetras
1 blue gourami
2 dwarf cichlids
1 snail

I was hoping to be able to get the neons next week if my tank is ready.

Your not cycled until you have zero ammonia/nitrite. Daily water changes are required keeping those levels below .25ppm and nitrates below 20ppm. Cycling with fish takes roughly 5-6 weeks.

Your not cycled until you have zero ammonia/nitrite. Daily water changes are required keeping those levels below .25ppm and nitrates below 20ppm. Cycling with fish takes roughly 5-6 weeks.
wow ok, I had no idea it took that long. I don't want any new fish to get sick though so I'll keep up with the pwc and testing daily. I've been adding 15ml of stress zyme and stress coat with each pwc, is this ok? Once the ammonia and nitrates reach 0 should I make sure they stay that way for a few days before adding fish? What about my water being soft? Sorry for all the questions but I messed up my tank the last time and I want to make sure I get it right this time.

The PH is fine, once the tank cycles recheck it. The most important thing with PH is it's stability, once acclimated the fish will adjust.

Back
Top Bottom