is my tank too crowded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbtheredneck

Aquarium Advice Newbie
alright ive got a 12 gallon eclipse tank and i have 4 black skirt tetras and 3 zebra danios in it im thinking about getting a few more fish but dont want it to be over crowded. if i do end up getting more fish what would be some good fish to go with the ones ive already got? thanks for the help

BRANDON

Hello Brandon,
I would get a fish for the bottom of your tank. A micro school of 3 corydoras would work, but any of your existing fish would be happy with 1 or 2 more buddies.

You would have to do regular water changes, though.

+1. I think your stock is reasonable at the moment and I agree a small school of Cories would fit in nicely. But that does depend on your substrate, sand or rounded gravel is ok for catfish, spikey gravel isn't.

thanks fo the advice, how often should i do a water change and how much should i change?

wow that much huh how often every week tap water or what tenshould i add more of te nitraban, aqua safe and more aquarim salt or not?

I use tap water and Seachem Prime as a dechlorinator when I do my water changes.

Whatever dechlorinator you choose, just follow the instructions :D I am not sure what nitraban is, and I would stop using the aquarium salt if I were you. It is needed in some very specific cases (like the disease ich, or for mollies or other fish that need salty water - not your fish).

cool i was just doing what the pet store (jacks aquarium) told me to do...and the nitraban is actually called easy balance its from tetra its used for less frequent water changes and to help reduce nitrate and phosphate levels it says it keeps water biologically balanced for 6 months????? but who knows im new to all of this stuff!!!!!

I, also, only use a dechlorinator. Theoretically, if you did enough PWC's you wouldn't even need a filter. But that of course is unrealistic for the average working joe with a life outside his/her fish. PWC's are the most important thing you can do for your fish. The fewer added chemicals, the better.

wow that much huh how often every week tap water or what tenshould i add more of te nitraban, aqua safe and more aquarim salt or not?

Can you type that again? I really don't follow.

Guidelines on doing water changes usually specify the minimum you can get away with. But there is a popular school of thought that you should just change 50% of the water every week no matter what. As long as you're consistent with it then your fish won't mind.

Stocking can have a lot more to do with water changes than tank volume. What is the nitrate concentration? If it is under 20 then you are okay, if not you are overstocked already.

I would not use salt all the time, it will cause more harm than good long term.

Back
Top Bottom