Is this a miracle, or should I be worried?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxw47

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my new 2.5 gallon had a leak, and I was pretty sure it was from the bottom because there wasn't water anywhere else. So I re-siliconed the entire bottom. Filled it up and it still leaked. But when I was taking water out, it stopped. Then I realized all of the silicone was pealing off the top corners and the water was just running down the metal trim. So I patched that up. Waited for 48 hours and when I filled it it was fine. But 15 min later it came back. I went sailing for four hours and when I came back, no leak and the outside was dry! I have no idea how this worked, but am I in the green to start cycling, or should I hold off?

Also, does anybody have any idea on where to get a female scarlet badis? I have looked high and low and can't find one. I looked on aquabid, liveaquaria (only males), etc. I did look on my LFS's wholesalers list (to see if they could custom order them) and they had them. But both the picture of the male and female had fin rot, and I don't want to be stuck with fish that have some disease. I plan on a M/F pair in the 2.5. Thanks!

Maxw47 said:
So my new 2.5 gallon had a leak, and I was pretty sure it was from the bottom because there wasn't water anywhere else. So I re-siliconed the entire bottom. Filled it up and it still leaked. But when I was taking water out, it stopped. Then I realized all of the silicone was pealing off the top corners and the water was just running down the metal trim. So I patched that up. Waited for 48 hours and when I filled it it was fine. But 15 min later it came back. I went sailing for four hours and when I came back, no leak and the outside was dry! I have no idea how this worked, but am I in the green to start cycling, or should I hold off?

Also, does anybody have any idea on where to get a female scarlet badis? I have looked high and low and can't find one. I looked on aquabid, liveaquaria (only males), etc. I did look on my LFS's wholesalers list (to see if they could custom order them) and they had them. But both the picture of the male and female had fin rot, and I don't want to be stuck with fish that have some disease. I plan on a M/F pair in the 2.5. Thanks!

Id buy a new tank if possible and if its just one of those generic glass tanks. Id wait and see if it keeps halpening for a week or so first thougb

Google invertebrates by msjinkzd. I think ive seen them on her site

Ya the leak just popped up again when I put an air stone in there. I bought it and a ten gallon w/stand for only 15 dollars, so I guess I get what I pay for. It is pretty cool though. It has a metal trim with a matching hood. Could probably turn it into my LFS for a little store credit. I'll check out that site you posted too. Thanks!

Maxw47 said:
Ya the leak just popped up again when I put an air stone in there. I bought it and a ten gallon w/stand for only 15 dollars, so I guess I get what I pay for. It is pretty cool though. It has a metal trim with a matching hood. Could probably turn it into my LFS for a little store credit. I'll check out that site you posted too. Thanks!

Or get a 10gal at petco for 10 dollars

Try theplantedaquariumstore.com the are my local LFS and I know they have Scarlett badis just not sure if the have both sexes but it's worth a shot.

Ya I don't think my mom would be very happy with another ten gallon (I have a lot). I don't go into petco much, but their dollar per gallon asle is going on now, right? If so, do they sell 2.5 gallons? Because that would be a nice deal.

They do sell 2.5 gal tanks but the cost about $15 all year round. If you really like the tank just get a razor blade and cut off all the silicone and then resilicone it. It's not that hard and it's only a 2.5 gal.

Homer8 said:
They do sell 2.5 gal tanks but the cost about $15 all year round. If you really like the tank just get a razor blade and cut off all the silicone and then resilicone it. It's not that hard and it's only a 2.5 gal.

Well I already put new silicone on the whole bottom perimeter and the top corners about 3 inches down. I think it is leaking just a bit between the new and old silicone on the top corners because it doesn't adhere to itself. I think I will just sell it.

Well if you scrape all of it off it will adhere to the glass. It not like your redoing 100 gal tank.

You can't patch it by adding new silicone on top of the old, which is already bad. If you want to fix it, remove all the old silicone from the interior of the tank, and then apply new. For what its worth, if its one of the old metal trimmed tanks, they were popular in the 1960s and early 70s. Would be kind of neat to get it up and running.

Get the 10 gallon. 2.5 is too small for scarlet badis. ( I don't have them myself, this is just what I've gathered from research on the species )

When I patched the places I did, I took all of the silicone of in those places first. But it is between those places where I think it is leaking. I think I will take all of the silicone off, new and old, and re-do the whole thing. Just kind of a bummer that I wasted part of the little tube. But oh well, it is either another $6.99 tube of silicone or a $15 new tank with a light fixture that might not fit. Somebody else told me that not even one Scarlet Badis would work because they eat little micro-organisms in/on the plants and need more than what could fit in a 2.5. But if it wasn't for that, they would be fine because they max out at about 3/4", a little smaller than RCS. What do you guys think? When I researched I didn't see anything going against it, and I saw people recommending trios in a five gallon. So I am a little undecided. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom