It won't go away!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastfly48

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok...so how long is the longest you've had a bacterial/algae bloom?...a few day?....a week?
I've had mine going for over two weeks now!
...and it's driving me bonkers. :multi:

Could this perhaps be anything else? I crave clear water.
I got some activated carbon do you think that could help? The water looks very clean though, it's just the cloudiness of it...I can hardly see the back of the tank anymore!
Maybe I should cut back on lighting? The aquarium is under a sky-light in my roof, so maybe the natural light isn't helping or something??
I'm sure I'm not overfeeding too. I have 10 fish and only put 10 little crumbs of food in a day.

Anyways... hope you can help! All my family and friends think I'm a failed aquariust :(

Thank you thanks you.
Ry.

do you have green water?
direct sunlight is not helping, diffusing and using it would be an advanced issue.
what are you testing for? PO4 and NO3?
do you have plants?

Yes the water is green. If you look through the tank long ways with the light off and the room light on it's REALLY green...but looking at it normally with both lights on it just looks cloudy...yellowish even.
Should I perhaps cover my sky light?...or cut back on the time I leave the tank light on?
Yes I have plants. Vallis and a few clumps of Java fern.
I did a water test not long ago and everything was fine, though the ph was a little high...but now it's good...I added some wood.

I cleaned one filter sponge a few days ago...before I bought the activated carbon sponge thingy. Because of this I'm hesitant in putting the activated carbon thingy in my filter becasue I only have room for three sponges, and with this activated carbon one in, only one of the sponges with be mature. Is this an issue?

I'm also wondering if my filter is doing it's job properly. I mean...shouldn't it be clearing my water!?

Anyways....HELP! :eek:

Thank you all.

Ry.

did you test PO4? If you have green water PO4 should not be fine..
water changes can usually fix this..
and a filter isnt going to help greenwater..
how much direct sunlight are you getting? if your getting 10hours a day you have a high light planted tank on your hands.. and if so you should be able to add more plants and start dosing fertilizers and CO2 .. HTH

What is PO4?
diresct sun light? Not tooooooo much. The tank has a wooden led/roof so the light from the sky light can;t directly get to the tank.
I have the light on for about 12-13 hrs a day, and was thinking of adding more plants...that is be4 this all happened :(

Here's what I would do.....

If possible move the tank out of direct sunlight. If that's not possible then you might battle this forever.

Change 20% of water daily until the water clears up.

Keep the tank lights off till water gets better.

Feed lightly.

Add some algae eaters.

talloulou beat me to it, thats basically what i am thinking

PO4 is the Phosphate in the water, BTW

HTH :D

talloulou said:
Here's what I would do.....

If possible move the tank out of direct sunlight. If that's not possible then you might battle this forever.

I was thinking of covering up the sky light so the light can't get in. Good idea hey! :D

Change 20% of water daily until the water clears up.

I'll do that and add the activated carbon thing in my filter.

Keep the tank lights off till water gets better.

Wa!? I guess that won't harm this fish too much then? It's ok to have the tank n darkness for days on end?

Feed lightly.

cool cool. I have 10 fish, and feed them 10 gravel size pieces of fish food a day. That's ok right?

Add some algae eaters.

I have two algae eater (p...something) and a scavenger (corry...something).

Thanks. I give anything a try!

a skylight isn't direct sunlight.
If that was the case, i should have algae blooming at a phenominal rate.
I wash my sidewalls once a month.
a total blackout in the tanks alos helps and isn't harmful
how big is your tank for 10 fish? and how big are your fish?
HEY YOUR IN PERTH TO ! i'm in rockingham.
pm me.

rgds
Matt.

Yes well...
I've had my tank in darkness for 2 days now. Seems as though it's getting a little better. I added the activated carbon...only to find one already in the filter! So now I have two in there! 8O

Hey! Sorry. I on;y just saw your message...Matt.
My tanks about 75 L. I have three danios...four neon tetras two sucker fish (forget the name) and one cat fish work-a-holic fish.
They are all under 5 cm long.
This cloud stuff is REALLY annoying and I don't know what I've done so wrong.
Perhaps my tank light is to bright or something? I just want clear water! :(
Any other ideas?

Great to see someone from perth!
Cheers.
Ry.

ok, I just checked my tank light stats...
It's 40W twin tube...is that too much? If so, could I perhaps remove on of the tubes to decrease the brightness?
Ry.

4th post in a row...yikes.
Here are some more stats on my light...
Jialu Aquariums...HDD-600 Lamp Voltage: 240V50Hz/50Hz/60Hz Power: 40w Weight: 1.0kg
That's all it says!
I'm pretty sure that this bloom problem is being caused by my light...
Hope someone can help me out.
thanks.
Ry.

the article I posted before is written by a 30+ year long aquarist from perth..
Join www.perth-cichlid-forums.ipbhost.com, if you cant see it, it's well worth the read and explains many different types of algae and how to get rid of them..
(she also builds the best tanks in perth and will look after anyone she knows from the forums.)

Back
Top Bottom