I've fed him peas..now what

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr86mister

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Now my gourami has bloaded way to huge the past day or two and i fed him some cooked peas w/o the skin just like i'm supposed to, he seemed to eat it but not much at all then he wasnt interested anymore, now do i just wait it out to see if it works..or try again when i get back from my family party this evening.

if that doesnt work, what else is there to do with him...it could be constipation or a bacterial thing in his stomach...

Please Help! :cry:

Are his scales sticking out? What are your water parameters? If it is constipation it will take the peas a while to work.

no scales sticking out, Nitrite .0, Ammonia .0, Nitrate 10-20, tank is about 6 months old

everyone else is fine and looks healthy and i've been obsessive by watching him now

I'd wait until later and see if that helps and you can always try more peas later. The fact that he ate them is a good sign. I know how you feel, until you know what is wrong and how to treat it, you tend to just stare into the tank hoping that somehow an answer will appear. Just keep an eye on him and let us know how things are progressing.

When did you feed the peas? It will take a while for his digestive system to digest the peas, and for them to take effect. It's not a instantaneous treatment. :wink:

I have never tried this, but you could try an epsom salt bath...

Setting up an Epsom Salt bath:

Add 1 Tbsp per gallon of Epsom Salt to some aged, temperature-adjusted (same temperature as the water the betta is already in) water.

Pour Epsom Salt solution into a container.

Place the fish in the Epsom Salt bath for 15-20 minutes.

It will supposedly relieve constipation.

well he still is bloaded and has a loooong thin strain of poop about seriously 3 inches long and he is breathing heavy. I did the pea thing so i dont know if its constipation, is a internal bacterial infection?

Are these symptoms bad...which i think they are and what could i do?

This website describes symptoms of constipation as "String of feces hanging from fish, swollen abdomen, sluggishness, disinterest in food, off-balance swimming."
I have read on other sites that long stringy poop can also be a symptom of bacterial infection, or parasites.

Back
Top Bottom