jade goby info?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philc21

Aquarium Advice Activist
i saw this in the lfs the other day and would like to find info on this how big do they grow, what do they eat, how aggressive are they, are they brackish or can they be kept in fresh and aany info i should know b4 purchasing one if n e one knows any of this info ur help would be greatly appreciated

Man I hate common names!!! :D The only reference I could find anywhere to a Jade Goby is for a fish also called the Striped Sleeper Goby (Dormitator maculatus). From everything I've read, they are freshwater gobies from the East coast of North and South America that are relatively easy to keep. HOWEVER.....they reach a length of 24 inches and will gobble down anything that will fit in their rather capacious mouth! They also eat plants so this is NOT a fish for your well-planted community tank.

Is THIS the fish you're talking about?? (See Link)

http://aquaworld.netfirms.com/Other/Dormitator_maculatus.htm

yes that looks somewhat like what i saw thanx for the info i couldnt find anything on it i guess im gunna stay away because i do want to have some fish of all sizes in the tank so i guess not thanx again

gobies are generally mean, a real handfull for any aquarist :?

Not mean, just predatory. Mine never bothers anyone he can't fit into his mouth. Gentle as a teddybear! Mean/aggressive fish take bites, nip & bully other fish. Generally predators don't--they just eat other fish.

Pufferpunk said:
Not mean, just predatory. Mine never bothers anyone he can't fit into his mouth. Gentle as a teddybear! Mean/aggressive fish take bites, nip & bully other fish. Generally predators don't--they just eat other fish.

ooops just reported your post by accident :oops: I ment to quote it.

as it happens, many of them do take bites out of other fish, my plattys are missing tails to prove it :p

also my dwarf gouramy was killed by mine :cry:

lol then I moved my goby, and now it is MIA :oops:

No trouble, LOL, I actually just suggested someone PM you, how bout moseying over to SW, there is a thread about acclimating brackish puffers to SW, could use your input ;)

Back
Top Bottom