Just set up my first real tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I bought a 150 gallon tank, have a fluval fx5 on it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415511990.232279.jpg from that, to ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415512027.039744.jpg after adding the sand. Then about 24 hours later...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415512067.139263.jpg

I'm still in the process of decorating and letting sand settle. Going to do a water change later on today. I've ordered Dr.Tim's ammonium chloride to begin a cycle and it should be here in a few days.

Quick question, when beginning the cycle...I do have an established 5.5 gallon betta tank. Would it make any significant difference to add some gravel or a piece of the filter to the 150 or is that just way too big of a difference?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So I bought a 150 gallon tank, have a fluval fx5 on it. View attachment 255263 from that, to View attachment 255264 after adding the sand. Then about 24 hours later...View attachment 255265

I'm still in the process of decorating and letting sand settle. Going to do a water change later on today. I've ordered Dr.Tim's ammonium chloride to begin a cycle and it should be here in a few days.

Quick question, when beginning the cycle...I do have an established 5.5 gallon betta tank. Would it make any significant difference to add some gravel or a piece of the filter to the 150 or is that just way too big of a difference?

I could be wrong but using a piece of filter media from a 5 gallon will likely be like taking a teaspoon of water from the ocean. It will help speed up the process but i would stay that it will be about 3-4 weeks to complete a cycle in that tank but adding some media will speed the process. I like to cycle with zebra Danios

I could be wrong but using a piece of filter media from a 5 gallon will likely be like taking a teaspoon of water from the ocean. It will help speed up the process but i would stay that it will be about 3-4 weeks to complete a cycle in that tank but adding some media will speed the process. I like to cycle with zebra Danios

Haha I figured. Zebra danios will be killed whenever I introduce the oscar though. I thought about using giant danios but they weren't really in my stocking list. Then thought of adding silver dollars to cycle with since I do want to keep them. I'm all about the safety of the fish though so decided on fishless cycle just to eliminate the risk.

Back
Top Bottom