Killifish in a community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrippin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently gutted and restarted my 65G tank and am in the process of restocking it.

I've never kept Killifish before but I find their colors to be very striking. I can't seem to find much information on the net about their behaviors in a community tank, and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

So far I have:

-8 Giant Danios
-3 Weather Loaches
-2 Sumo Loaches
-1 Marbled Headstander

I plan on adding maybe another small school of tetras and then a couple of showcase fish. If possible I would prefer Killifish as a showcase.

Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated!

I would suggest the lyretail killifish (aphysemion Australe). They are fantastic fish, and much more peaceful than the Gardneri. They can be hard to find though, because they are fairly rare in the hobby.

They are however, impressively amazing jumpers, make sure to plug up every possible hole.

The Blue Gularis definitely catches my eye, any idea how that species might work out?

I kept panchax or golden wonder and I can say its aggressive specially at feeding time. At first my gourami chased him when I introduced him. Gourami is also top dwellers so territorial issues maybe. I re homed gourami. I had mine with angles and was going good until I put Denison Barbs. My panchax didn't notice Denison at all for weeks but suddenly started to chase them everywhere and bully them so I rehome him. I can also say he was aggressive to zebra danios as well in my previous tank so it depends. Make sure you have a back up plan if it doesn't work out. And no doubt killis are very very beautiful fish. Almost all kinds. I don't discourage you. Just make sure you don't have any other top level swimming fish. I hope it will be fine. Do try these fish. They are very very beautiful and energetic and lively. Go crazy for bloodworms lol.

Back
Top Bottom