Light to bring out my cichlids color.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to the LFS soon and am looking to have very nice lighting to really bring out my fishes colors, as I am not completely happy with the bulb I have now. My fixture is a 36" fluorescent strip light, 120 VAC, 60 HZ, 40 W. I currently have a white eclipse bulb in which I think is 40 W. So what bulb should I get that won't promote algae and really brings out the cichlids colors?

I bought a 50/50 Coralife bulb. Is this better or worse than pure actinic? It is really nice, but I have a question...Do they sell 40W 36" bubls? All I can find are 30W bulbs for 36" fixture. I went to three different stores and they all had the same. I looked online too. My fishes colors look cool with the blueish/purple tint as they are nice and highlighted.

We use two 50/50 bulbs and 1 Actinic in our African tank and it really makes the coloration stand out. 50/50 just means it is half actinic and half pure.

I'm not meaning to steal your thread or anything, but I had the same question and was looking at bulbs in the LFS today.

I noticed that same 50/50 Coralife bulb and came SO close to buying it. Right now I have two small 10w fluorescent bulbs that I put in to replace my incandescent ones that screwed in.

How much of a difference is this Coralife bulb compared to the fluorescent ones I have now? Is anctic good for plant growth?

No, Actinic is not good for plant growth. It offers no "pure" light that plants need to grow. It has a bluish hue.

Actinic bulbs are in the color spectrum that brings out color detail really well. they would defintly do the trick. :)

Actinic bulbs imitate the color seen in deeper water, which is why they make reef tanks and African cichlids, which are found at deeper depths, look so good. There aren't many plants at those depths, so they don't help plant growth.

Not trying to steal the thread but... I am wondering if I could do a 50/50 bulb and an actnic bulb? Is that smart or dumb? I don't know anything about special light bulbs but I read what you guys said. Doesn't promote algae growth and brings out vividity in my (future)fish...

Fishyfanatic said:
We use two 50/50 bulbs and 1 Actinic in our African tank and it really makes the coloration stand out. 50/50 just means it is half actinic and half pure.

LOL, there ya go FWaddict. Go for it!

**Fishyfanatic, I didn't even realize it was you because of your avatar change lol.

Up until a week or two ago I still had a picture of Nemo with a photoshopped santa hat on his head. I figured it was time to change the pic since it's June already. :lol:

About 5 months ago my 50/50 went on the fritz (randomly shutting off mid-day) I replaced it with a 6700k bulb. Color-wise I preferred the 50/50 bulb (it really brought out the blue's in the stripes of my tiger barbs), and I switched bulbs before getting my powder blue gourami (I bet that will look fantastic!).

So I just put in an order for a 50/50 bulb because I'm getting sick of constantly pruning my plants and some algae issues and can't wait to see how the new bulb looks.

Bottom line is the pure daylight bulbs are much "brighter" and illuminates the tank extremely well, but the 50/50 (or 50/50 plus daylight bulb in multi-bulb setups) really brings out the colors.

Now get us some pics! Hopefully before and after....

Back
Top Bottom