Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Majbarsalona

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 48 inch light fixture and I need to replace the bulb. Can I just get a bulb from like Home Depot or do I have to get one of the expensive ones from a lfs? Also the tank is planted so I would want the best for the plants

I think so long as the kelvin rating is right it doesn't matter where you get it, but I could be mistaken, hopefully someone more experienced will chime in soon:confused:

Yes.
Find a "full spectrum" bulb with a Kelvin rating between 3000 and 10000. Lower will look more yellow, higher will look more white. I prefer the look of 8000K myself.

I know that home depot does sell "plant" or grow bulbs but I don't know about that size. You would want to compare the light intensity and color of what the bulbs are putting out against the LFS bulbs.

Yes.
Find a "full spectrum" bulb with a Kelvin rating between 3000 and 10000. Lower will look more yellow, higher will look more white. I prefer the look of 8000K myself.

Thanks so much, will those be good for plants and what category lighting would it fall into (ie: low light, high light, etc.)?

Thanks so much, will those be good for plants and what category lighting would it fall into (ie: low light, high light, etc.)?

Yes, that would be fine for plants unless to are wanting to get into optimal growth rates and such.

The light level would depend on the type of bulb it is, how many bulbs there are and depth of tank.

Back
Top Bottom