Lonely Comet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt.Gorilla

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, after solving health problems in my main 55 gal I QT'ed my severly dropsied (or whatever) female goldie. My large male comet was left all alone execpt for a few snails and rapidly became dispondent and stopped feeding (at the time I thought It was caused by the water). He would sit at the bottom and bolt from side to side if you moved near the tank or thumped walking around. In all the time they were seperated he didn't go near the top half of the tank.

He was alone for about 2 days then a hurricane hit and I lost power for 3 days rationing my little battery generator between tanks for their filters.
Eventually the battery ran out and my QT'ed comet was running out of O2, I couldn't stand watching her gasping for air so I caved and plopped her back into the main 55 gal at about 3am (also during treatment she had become only larger).
When I checked on them in the morning they were nustled up to each other and swimming around just like they used to before all the deaths.
My power has come back and they are both eating but never go more than a foot away from each other.

But, there will be a problem, my dropsied fish will not be around for much longer no matter how much I'd like her to be And if she is gone I assume my male will go back to his depression.
So now I have to look for new schoolers, I'm thinking of fish close to his size 5" or so, low maintenence hopefully because All i have is 2 aqua clears and a 50w heater for a 55 gal and I also have a severe lack of funds.

Also, while handling my dropsied fish I noticed that she feels like a overly ripe tomato, so she must be afflicted by a fluid buildup... just thought i'd toss that in there.

How have you treated the dropsy?

Epsom salt can sometimes pull out the excess fluid...of course that doesn't cure the underlying cause, but it might make her more comfortable.

I keep goldies too...and have found that they are pretty social guys. Even my pleco seems to enjoy the rambunctiousness (to a point). I'm not sure how tolerant other species of fish may be though!

I think that when your comet is finally left on his own, you should go out straight away and get him a new companion. If you get one that is roughly his size he will be fine., in fact even if you get one that is smaller i think he would be fine. Like sweetsuvvyb they are very sociable fish.

I tried treating with epsom salts but she got bigger and didn't care for the change in tank size.

Yeah I just need suggestions on new fish, once i find out what a sweetsuvvyb is ill think.

Also if I was to continue epsom salt treatment in the main tank could it hurt the healthy fish?

once i find out what a sweetsuvvyb is ill think

I think I'm the only sweetsuvvyb around :lol:

I think your best bet is to get another goldfish to keep your comet company.

Back
Top Bottom