Lost two zebra danios- water test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what kit are you using? what is the rest of the stock? how big is the tank? did you do anything differently to the tank? we need a little more info in order to help ;)

I thought I put all the info in my profile, but maybe I didn't do it right. 55g, no plants, 2 gouramis, 3 black skirt tetras, now only 8 danios, and a few ghost shrimp that have been disappearing? and 2 chinese algae eaters. I used the API master kit.

Hoagie777 said:
I thought I put all the info in my profile, but maybe I didn't do it right. 55g, no plants, 2 gouramis, 3 black skirt tetras, now only 8 danios, and a few ghost shrimp that have been disappearing? and 2 chinese algae eaters. I used the API master kit.

And i have had them a couple of weeks

it could possibly be weak stock, unless there were any other obvious symptoms. the CAE's depending on how big they are aren't entirely out of the question either though...

The CAEs are still tiny. They all seemed to being fine, then i found two of them stuck to the intake. Could the gouramis be eating the shrimp/danios?

i doubt it if you found the bodies... sounds like weak stock to me.

It may be weak stock, kinda the last thing you would think of with the generally "tough as nails" zebra danio. Just keep an eye on all your other fish and your water parameters for the next couple of days.

Ok, whats going on here!? Just noticed my blue gourami is missing about half the length of his feelers!

I'm going to blame the black skirt tetras. They are very nippy if not kept in schools. When stocking my tank I had four and was planning to add four more the next week. Within a week they nipped the tails off 3 guppies and took chunks out of each other. I now have 8 and they are model citizens.

I agree with Mumma, black skirts are one of the nippiest darn tetras. Try to get your school up to about 8 and they should calm down a bit.

Ok, so two more danios have disappeared! I cant find them anywhere. I assume they have been eaten. Maybe the gourami?

more then likely they died and then were eaten quickly by the ghost shrimp. i'm still blaming the danio deaths on bad stock... but i do agree that the black skirts are probably the reason for the feeler lossage.

Yep, so the tetras are nipping the poor Gourami and somehow you got a bad stock of danios. I can vouch for the quickness of a ghost shrimp clean up crew. Some people don't even know they lost a fish until they take a head count. Quick little critters!

Well, I'm down to 5 zebra danios now here are a couple of pics of two of them. They are not looking well. What is attacking them? The gourami or jewel cichlids?

Attachments

• image-2880491034.jpg
    image-2880491034.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3431002528.jpg
    image-3431002528.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 65
if it's anyone it's the skirts, but i seriously do think it's bad stock considering you aren't finding any physical signs of damage on the bodies.

oh, sorry, didn't zoom in on the pics. i'd say the skirts are the cause of the tail, and the 2nd pic could be caused from stress. i would definitely fill out the school of skirts before you add anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom