Lowering pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShadyFish04

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 20 gallon freshwater tank pH is at a 7.6. How can i lower it? Ive heard of using driftwood, is it affective?

Why do you want to lower the pH? I think it's best to leave the pH alone as long as the numbers are not way out of range. 6.5-8 is fine IMO.

Without a need to lower the ph for a specific fish there is nothing wrong with 7.6 .
Most fish do fine in the 7-8 range..Consistency is way more important then a target number..
I would not use a chemical .If your kh is high enough no buffing will last more then a day or so and stress the fish even more with the swings.
If you need lower ph water then the proper is to mix your source with RO or distilled..
This must be done every water change .

Don't use any chemical. I used sera pH lower and it lowered my ph but after like two days ph increase again. This happens with all chemicals really and it cause the pH to crash eventually. You can use driftwood or crushed corral in tank or a buffering substrate. But as others said usually most fish can adapt to different pH levels unless they are way off. Important is to keep pH stable instead of trying to make it lower and make it fluctuate and eventually crash. RO water and Distilled water is a good choice as well as Coral said but such water lacks minerals so you will need to reminilize it. I suggest use driftwood and crushed corals. It will gradually buffer your ph which is good.

I know i shouldn't chase the pH, which is what I'm not trying to do. However i am gettng neon tetras soon for the tank and i read that they like lower pH. My tap water pH which i texted today was 7.6 as well which i don't think will change. I don't want to try chemicals, I'm just trying to do this naturally. Im going to try driftwood and if it doesn't lower the pH ill leave it alone and see how my fish do once i get them. Thanks for the help :)

I know i shouldn't chase the pH, which is what I'm not trying to do. However i am gettng neon tetras soon for the tank and i read that they like lower pH. My tap water pH which i texted today was 7.6 as well which i don't think will change. I don't want to try chemicals, I'm just trying to do this naturally. Im going to try driftwood and if it doesn't lower the pH ill leave it alone and see how my fish do once i get them. Thanks for the help :)
Yes they like lower ph but they will be fine of PH under 8. Yes go for natural ways. Its better to ask or check yourself the pH of water they are coming from. Can ask the store. To be more safe you cam use drip acclimation. Very easy procedure. We all do drip acclimation for shrimps. You can do for neons if they coming from a low ph water. My neons are fine and healthy in 7.5 pH.

Back
Top Bottom