Lucky me, dual equipment failure =(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
Two days ago I wake up and my PC tank light is out when the time should have been turned it on by the time. Since it was not on, I figured the timer got stepped on by the cat or something. I tried plugging it straight into the wall, and it still did not work. I eventually come to the conclusion that the ballast is bad, since the bulb still flickers when I turn it on. I have not called the manufacturer yet, but it is still under warranty so no big deal. Fortunately I still have my original All-Glass strip light so I am using that for now.

Meanwhile, I am raising my tank temp to weed out some potential Ich. I got the temp up to 84F over a few days without a problem. The temp setting on the heater showed 85 which was OK. Then I raised the temp again to 86.5. Tank was still at 84F, sometimes 85. I waited and raised it again to about 88F. Tank temp was still at 84->85F. Waited 8 hours, raised the temp to 89F, then 91FF on the heater. Tank temp still 84->85. No settings above 86F or so on the heater seem to do anything! It is not lilke the heater can not heat the tank, the setting just fails to work. Now I gotta call Marineland on that.

Since I can not get the tank hot enough to kill off the Ich, I have to use some Aquairsol I bought as a backup :(

just a quick note on the heater.
I use marineland heaters in all my tanks and noticed that sometimes you have to turn the heater all the way down and then up to the desired temperature. Kind of a reset for the heater!

So I get home from work today and the tank is at 87F. I have been using two thermometers to verify the temps, this morning the tank was at 85F and I had not touched the heater since yesterday. Yeah, I really trust this heater now, better keep an eye on it 8O I wanted one of those Won Titanium heaters anyway... I tried plugging in the PC light to see if that fixed itself too. Still broken :D

But luckily if the tank holds at 87F I do not have to dose my tank with Aquarisol daily now, yay!

Back
Top Bottom