Male honey gourami compatability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lulubell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, has anyone kept 2 or more male honey gourami in a 20gal without fighting? I have one, thinking about getting another. Was considering female sunburst platy (they are about the same color) but dont want fry.Tankmates would be a school of green neon tetra. Thanks!

You could try two males. Honey Gourami's are pretty peaceful and I've heard of successful tank mates between two males.

Thanks for the reply. If I decide to do it I will get it from a place with a good return policy.Just in case. Also I've noticed this one constantly pecking at bits of algae and scavaging the gravel and rocks. It hardly eats the flakes or blood worms I give it. Would honey gourami be a good option for alage control over fragil otto fish?

Thanks for the reply Barliman! My hubby sugested snails, but I said no way because I heard they will reproduce and take over. I will look into that type of snail. Sounds like a good option.

I doubt they'd be as good as an oto. If you want algae control, nerite snails are a great alternative, and they won't successfully reproduce in a freshwater tank.

But the eggs...those white, sesame seed like, hard to remove eggs is what kept me from getting Nerite snails.

Did some research on the snails and found there is not many fish willing to eat the eggs and the snails can escape the tank. My aquarium is not reall old enough too need a clean up crew yet, so I'll stick this one on the back burner for now. Thanks for the replies :)

Honey gouramis don't care about gender, they just want friends. I kept 2 males in a 20 long with minimal problems.

Thanks matts99! I am actually planning on getting another tomarrow. The place I'm getting it has a good return policy just in case they dont get along. I hope they do. I love the one I have. He is so adorable the way he goes around feeling evrything...

I love our Nerite snails. I don't find the eggs to much of a problem and we have four of the snails in a 37 gallon. We also have ramshorns that came in on some live plants(ugh).

I love our male honey gourami. We bought him and male blue flame gourami at the same time. Not to much aggressiveness between them. The blue flame will charge the honey on occasion but have never seen them "fight". I would just make sure you offer places to hide with two males in case one decides to dominate.

Back
Top Bottom