Marbled Cray Care and Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a marbled cray and want to know the best way to care for it. My LFS said that hard water is fine and they feed them flake food. He said I can feed anything. Now I am asking yall for better advice lol. What water parameters are best? What to feed? (I have thought a mix frog pellets, betta pellets, tropical flakes, algae wafers, and prawn eggs would be good lol) What temperature?
I have it in a 5 gallon by a window right now. After I get some mula from the babies (she is carrying) I am gonna move the tank and get a clamp on light.
Also how do I reduce the water flow? I rubberbanded a top fin filter cartrige on the outtake but its not enough. I have duckweed that I am trying to grow.

Crays like well oxygenated water, so if you reduce the flow, I would add an airstone.

Hard water is great. Unless the room gets really cold, you shouldn't need a heater. Crays can thrive in cooler waters.

They will eat just about everything. I feed my crays a varied diet of shrimp pellets, carnivore wafers, algae wafers, frozen blooodworms/brine shrimp, zucchini..whatever.

I would be careful selling these. I don't think the average hobbyist should keep these as pets. The rate at which they reproduce is pretty crazy and they don't require a mate, so they could become a very invasive species if released into the wild.

Crays like well oxygenated water, so if you reduce the flow, I would add an airstone.
I have one behind the heater outake. I hope that is good. Its on low setting.
Hard water is great. Unless the room gets really cold, you shouldn't need a heater. Crays can thrive in cooler waters.
Our house gets low as 67 at night and high as 74 during day. Also the tank is by the window. I keep it at about 75.
They will eat just about everything. I feed my crays a varied diet of shrimp pellets, carnivore wafers, algae wafers, frozen blooodworms/brine shrimp, zucchini..whatever.
Thank you for this!
I would be careful selling these. I don't think the average hobbyist should keep these as pets. The rate at which they reproduce is pretty crazy and they don't require a mate, so they could become a very invasive species if released into the wild.
I will be careful. People on here and my LFS will be the most likely buyers.
Replies in red. He hides in his pvc ALL the time. Is that normal?

Too many crays and not enough space. They are fast breeders and should not be aquarium pets IMO. Best to use them for academic purposes or feeders.

When crays are berried they hide most of the time. For the short time it's not berried it should be out and about more.

Ah ok. Well does anyone know how long they are berried? I actually only did this for extra money but I kinda fell for this thing lol

Back
Top Bottom