Micro fish for a 5 Gallon Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bettas of any Species will tend to kill Shrimp. Dario Dario or any other Darios will eat baby Shrimp.

For Shrimp friendly Nano fish I'd recommend Chili Rasboras. Bright, tiny and Shrimp safe AFAIK. CPDs may snack on Shrimplets as well.

Nano fish all like lots of plants. They can be shy unless they feel safe. You can leave a large open area in the front, but try to plant lots of stuff to the rear and/or sides. People may get sick of this vid but these are my CPDs in my 10g.
Feeding time 10g Shrimp Jungle - YouTube
Thanks, other than fish I LOVE inverts. They are a challenge sometimes and bring new life to a tank. They are pretty funny too. Where I live Cherry Shrimp and CRS aren't as expensive so I don't care if lil' shrimps will get eaten. Just need the adults. ;) I'm looking into Dario Dario and Chili Rasboras. Both gorgeous and my LFS has both. I'm now contemplating between a pair of DPs; M/F, a school of Chilis, or a pair of Dario Darios. Thanks for the great ideas. Would CPDs work as well? They are very pretty. BTW love the "jungle"! :) :fish1:

Also, looks like you have an eggy Oto!

Remember that the puffers aren't too likely to live harmoniously with shrimp. Some do, but many don't.
CPD would work too. Let us know what you end up going with. Any of those would be a great option.

Laos multi stripes pygmy loaches sstay under an inch. They are pretty rare too and are very entertaining and have lots of personality. I haven't seem them for sale online yet and i have only bought them from a breeder on Craigslist so they will be hard to find

Remember that the puffers aren't too likely to live harmoniously with shrimp. Some do, but many don't.
CPD would work too. Let us know what you end up going with. Any of those would be a great option.
I have read many accounts of DPs being fine with shrimp and the bottom will be heavily covered. If I do get DPs, I'll start off with cheaper Amanos or Ghost Shrimp.
I'm really leaning toward CPDs and Chilis, though. Hard choice.

Laos multi stripes pygmy loaches sstay under an inch. They are pretty rare too and are very entertaining and have lots of personality. I haven't seem them for sale online yet and i have only bought them from a breeder on Craigslist so they will be hard to find
Sounds like an interesting species. Will definitely look into them.:)

FreshObsessed said:
Sounds like an interesting species. Will definitely look into them.:)

This is what they look like :) spool cute. The only nano bottom feeder i have ever seen

Attachments

• image_medium.jpeg
    image_medium.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 98
  • ForumRunner_20120416_142320.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120416_142320.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 119
Those are yunnanilus cruciatus loaches. They do not stay under and inch, actually. I keep a group of them in a 14 gal. I would say they are too large and active for a tank this size. They should have 10 gals or larger. They are not really a bottom feeder either, unlike most loaches. They do rest on the bottom, but they swim around mid-tank.

If you're into cool inverts I would do some dwarf crays. CPO's or cambarellus shufeltdii would work.

I wouldn't say they are under an inch, especially the dainty, and IMO they are too active for a 5 gal. Also pygmy cories swim mid-tank, unlike most cories.

Hara jardoni are the only cats I would keep in a tank this size. A group of 6 would work if it's unheated with a sandy substrate

Those are yunnanilus cruciatus loaches. They do not stay under and inch, actually. I keep a group of them in a 14 gal. I would say they are too large and active for a tank this size. They should have 10 gals or larger. They are not really a bottom feeder either, unlike most loaches. They do rest on the bottom, but they swim around mid-tank.

If you're into cool inverts I would do some dwarf crays. CPO's or cambarellus shufeltdii would work.
Looked up CPOs, I love them! Only concern I have is that I want fish and inverts to cohabit peacefully and crayfish eat fish, never owned them though. Are CPOs aggressive?
It would be interesting to keep one of those little guys, though! :lol:

If you want to go saltwater, you could have one fire fish, but just one. For freshwater, bettas are the bomb. You could also include some cool shrimp or snails.

Your options are really limited in such a small tank, but the fish you can have are alright

CPO's aren't paticularly aggressive (most of them anyway). I've kept them with many different types of fish incuding nano fish like CPD's and microrasbora and I have never lost a fish to one. I have countless times seen crays and fish side by side with no issues. That being said, we are talking about crays here so it's possible, but they are generally considered fish safe.

siva said:

Oh my bad i read the wrong information regarding size. I have a group of them in a 20. By bottom dweller i meant a scavenger i guess that would eat any uneaten food

CPO's aren't paticularly aggressive (most of them anyway). I've kept them with many different types of fish incuding nano fish like CPD's and microrasbora and I have never lost a fish to one. I have countless times seen crays and fish side by side with no issues. That being said, we are talking about crays here so it's possible, but they are generally considered fish safe.
Would they be able to live with a Dwarf Puffer or 2 or would the DP bully them? I've been trying to find some tankmates for DPs as i want to keep my options open. I am getting the fish on Wednesday so I got another day to decide.

No, I wouldn't think any small inverts would work with the DP's, but I don't have experience with them.

No, I wouldn't think any small inverts would work with the DP's, but I don't have experience with them.
So what Micro fish and inverts would you stock a 5.5 with then? Interested in CPOs and Chili Rasboras or Emerald Rasboras.

Back
Top Bottom