Middle Stratum Swimmers: Neon Tetra vs. Cardinal vs. ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strawtarget

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon with some panda cory cats. I'm setting up a 24 gallon (started the cycle this AM). Once cycled, I'd like to put the pandas in there with some kind of middle-swimming fish. I'm particularly interested in some kind of fish with blue coloring.

I really love the look of neon tetras, but every time I see them at the LFS, they're always huddled near the bottom of the tank like the glowlights. Is this their natural behavior, or once adapted to a new tank do they spend more of their time in the middle water like other tetras?

What about cardinals? What stratum do they tend to pick?

The tank has a black sand substrate and a tall piece of driftwood (almost reaches surface). I'm going to float a good amount of hornwort and water sprite on the top to make shaded areas. The bottom will be moderately planted. And fwiw, I use neutral, medium-soft water.

I've been thinking along the lines of 9 or so small schooling fish, but I'd consider fewer bigger fish instead if they're not going to harass the cory cats. I'm open to suggestions!

I'm sure people are tired of hearing my personal choice. Harlequin Rasboras! They're really inexpensive fish as long as you're not getting them from PetCo and PetSmart, and they school well in the middle of the water level.

Its my experience that Neons are mid-bottom dwellers. Mine did hang out alot in the bottom area of the tank. I've seen Cardinals more in the middle, maybe mid-bottom in pictures, but never kept them. I also love Harlequins, but they don't have that blue color you are looking for. You might look into Emporer tetras....I'm not sure which area they inhabit though.

I have to agree with Just One's comments about the neons and cards being more of a lower strata dwelling fish.

There are several blue gouramis that would fit the bill, although I'd only keep one in a 10g tank, as the males tend to squabble.

Voodoo Chilli said:
There are several blue gouramis that would fit the bill, although I'd only keep one in a 10g tank, as the males tend to squabble.

The 10g is my current aquarium. I'm cycling the new 24g aquarium now, and all the fish (my cories and any new fish) will live in the bigger tank. I'll keeping the 10g as a quarantine / hospital tank only.

Next time I'm at the LFS I'll take a look at the dwarf gouramis. They look very pretty in the internet pics, and they certainly have a nice amount of blue in 'em.

What I might do is start with 9 neons and see how I like 'em by themselves. If I decide that the top of the tank is too static, I will still have about 4 inches-of-fish-per-gallon left to work with. Maybe a male/female pair of dwarf gouramis might work? Everything I've read so far indicates that they'd get along okay with the neons.

Just wanted to post for the benefit of the archives that my 9 neons are doing exactly what I hoped they would. They spend a good deal of time front-and-center in the middle stratum. They're great!

I have 20 glowlights and 20 neons and they spend time near the bottom, but then split up in groups and cruise all over my 100 Gallon :D

i'd surely change the neons with some cardinals, they'll give you more blue colouration than the neons. ...since neons have more pale white colour on them. ..

i've been keeping 4 cardinals, though they'll spend most of their times on the mid bottom strata, they're much better than the neons, esp if ur has some shade they can hide underneath, they'll really give you a deep blue colour sensation^^. ..

i'd surely agree with theotheragentm's suggestions ...these rasboras will mostly spend their times at the mid surface of ur tank [i don't know bout bert's glowlight rasboras, since mine's been swimming on the mid surface strata], and they swim quite fast, i've been keeping just 4 of these glowlights with my cardinals and doing just fine in my 20gal with another 4 rummies and 4 pristellas and 2 golden angels^^

Back
Top Bottom