Missing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoK

Aquarium Advice Addict
There's been 2 disappearances in my 75 gal in the last 3 or 4 days. Days ago I noticed that one of my blue gouramis was gone and yesterday I noticed there was a danio missing. I checked the whole tank, under decorations, and around the floor for their bodies. No signs of them, no water drops on the floor, nothing. I highly doubt any of the fish could've eaten them, the only thing I can think of is they jumped out of the tank and my cat ate them or hid them somewhere? There are some small openings at the back where the filters are that they may have been able to jump out, I am going to put saran wrap or get something to cover ASAP but just wanted to know what you guys think? :(

A blue gourami is a lot to simply disappear....three theories: 1) the cat; 2) It is still in the tank and you somply have not found it; 3) if you have snails, and enough of them, they could have decimated the corpse in 14 hours or so.

Oh wait....possibly a fourth theory...what kind of catfish do you have?

I have looked everywhere in the tank for it, there are no snails, and the catfish are pictus cats and plecos. The gourami was more than 3", I really don't know why I can't find her anywhere, that's why I suspect the cat.

I had a 3in long catfish that died on me once. Didn't find the remains until a year later when I was cleaning out the tank. I found one of his spines in the gravel. It's crazy how fast they can disappear sometimes.

The danio probably jumped out by the filter, I've had many cases of this where they think they're salmon jumping up on the watfall and then by the time I find them they're fried fish...

I have heard stories of sucicdal danios, mine personally try to swim up the filter but have not tried to jump out. The cat would be a good guess for them.

Typically for me... when fish to missing they are dead and caught under or in some plant, just cant see enough of the aquarium.

My tank isn't planted, I looked under all the ornaments, and all around the tank. :( I really found it strange after the 2nd fish was gone because I've never lost a fish like this and 2 very different fish (physical sizes and personalities) were gone in such a short time from each other.

My guess is they jumped out by the filter. Have you checked all around the back of your tank good?If so the they probably flopped out into the open and your cat seen a meal. :(
Sorry about your losses and hope you find out what happenend

my mini crabs are complete escape artists.. i completly lost one.. no idea where it went, not even a trace. one day he was there the other he's good "POOF"..\
found him 4 days later in the Filter bag.. he was just peaking out like he was guarding his home..

Back
Top Bottom