moving a 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoodla dollas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello, its been a while.
i will be moving in about a month i had a few questions.
whats the best way to move a 55 gallon tank and the fish i got in there.
i have a texas cichlid, green terror and 2 plecos and a lot of gravel driftwood rocks, etc. any suggestions would be very helpful
thanks

There are many threads out there regarding moving tanks. Basically, empty out some of the water into a rubbermaid container. Net the fish into the container (or bucket) of water. Then scoup out the gravel into another bucket or container. You don't ahve to get all of it out, but as much as possible. Then put the driftwood and other stuff into another bucket or container. Leave the filter, heater, powerheads, fake plants, all that in the tank. It doesn't need to be moved. Then when you get to the new place, setup the tank, dump in the gravel, put it back together, and reacclimate the fish.

I'm making the same move at the end of the month, a 55g and a 12g. I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm following the same basic script as FF laid out. The 12g I'm just going to take out 50% of the water and carry it, I've done it before and its not that heavy.

I'm moving our tanks on July 1st about 20 minutes away. My 5 gal I could do the same that you are doing TS with the 12. :D The only one I am dreading is the 150.

Nope. It is glass, and very thick glass at that. It had to be brought through the front window (one of those big sliding windows) beacuse it was too wide for the door. It took three guys to bring it into the house. I'm not sure how heavy glass is, but it weighs ALOT. You can push against it and it doesn't even start to teater. Although, when we move, it will give me a chance to rearrange it like i want it. I just have to make sure James isn't looking when I do it. :D It's "His" tank and I can't mess with the decor. I have my own little 5 and 10 gal tank that I won't have ANY issues moving. :D It's great to have small tanks.

The one thing I am doing different with my 55g is that I will be leaving about 10 gallons of water in it and the fish in it and moving that. I figure it will weight about 120lbs that way and me and my friend are both athletes, so its shouldn't be a big deal. Too many small fish to bother catching them all. I will be taking out the bulk of the gravel and the driftwood. So I will have one container full of gravel, one for my canister filter and UV, and then the tank with some water and fish.

Tony Starks said:
The one thing I am doing different with my 55g is that I will be leaving about 10 gallons of water in it and the fish in it and moving that. I figure it will weight about 120lbs that way and me and my friend are both athletes, so its shouldn't be a big deal. Too many small fish to bother catching them all. I will be taking out the bulk of the gravel and the driftwood. So I will have one container full of gravel, one for my canister filter and UV, and then the tank with some water and fish.

How thick is the glass on the 55 gal? I was looking at one last week, and it was made of 3/16" glass. I wouldn't even cosider moving that tank with 100 pounds of water in it. One bang and it would be history.

BillD said:
Tony Starks said:

How thick is the glass on the 55 gal? I was looking at one last week, and it was made of 3/16" glass. I wouldn't even cosider moving that tank with 100 pounds of water in it. One bang and it would be history.

It would be 80 pounds of water, maybe less. Basically I'm going to leave just enough for them to live in during the hour they will be in there. Hell, its glass, one bang anyway and its history.

The moving tank problem begins on how much musle you have moving it... if your worried I would get some big containers to put the fish, rocks, gravel, decorations into and move it completely drained.. My 75 is tough to move by itself without some decent help.. but as you can read it has 3/8 inch glass! ouch my back!

Back
Top Bottom