Moving a 75 gallon tank from city water to well water...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radioheadx14

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently live in the city of Columbus Ohio and i have city water in my 75 gallon rainbow fish tank. At the end of August, I am moving back to my parent's house for a year and a half before i move for grad school. The only problem is that they have well water from the yard. I have had many fish in that water so I'm not worried about the water being bad; it is a large yard with no fertilizer. The well does run into a limestone bed so it might be a little hard, but it runs though a water softener. I am worried about the transition from city water to well water. Im sure the water balance change can be pretty stressful on fish.

Also, i am wondering if well water is compatible with rainbow fish and congo tetras.

Well water varies wildly (much more than city water, which also varies). For instance, growing up we had absolutely pristine well water...but water from my best friend's well tasted heavily of iron in the middle of the summer as the aquifer dropped. I almost couldn't drink it after finishing up a run/bike ride. Conditions such as pH, hardness, etc. also would be all over the place.

I'm sure it will be fine as a long term home, but you might want to collect water storage containers so that you can bring the bulk of your water with you. Then set up the tank initially with your normal water, and slowly transition over several water changes to the new stuff. The tetras are a little sensitive to water conditions, so the slow transition will give you a much better chance of success. I think the raindows actually like a higher pH, so I'd be less worried about them.

It's going to be the same as if you brought your fish from the lfs and put them in a previously set up tank at your parents house. Just acclimate into the new water. You should be fine as long as there isn't anything toxic in the water.

Well water...

My parents do have a lot of iron in the water... i dont think it will be a problem... i had neon tetras thrive in their water for years. actually, i had better success in all types of fish there than i have had here... i think i had 1 ich outbreak in 6 years, and living in the city, i have had several illness outbreaks.

So yeah, the pH is higher and there is lots of iron. i think i'm going to have to get a bunch of water containers.

Back
Top Bottom