moving adf's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark shirah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
need advice on moving four adf's out of a 10 gal tank. they are about 6 months old. my options are a 55 community tank with corys, tetras, and ottos, or a 29 long with 5 small africans and 3 corys. the 55 has been up for a year. the 29 has been going for six months.

I would net them carefully and put them in a bag and acclimate them to the new tank the same as you would as if they came from the lfs.

i'd go for the 55 gal...just because your africans are cichlids right? they get big, and might beat around the adfs

if your adfs are real young though, make sure they have a place to rest close to the top, this is gonna sound stuipd but a real tiny adf of mine had trouble making it up to the top often, and i thought he might drown, before i could do anything i found him in my albino clawed frogs mouth

i know clawed frogs get to be jerks when they get bigger, but he was still kinda small at the time, and i doubt he decided to snack on another frog, i think baby drowned and then clawed frog found him though

just make sure the frogs can rest near the top of the surface, and make sure they can still have places to hide

Definatly go for the 55 gal, sorry should have mentioned that in my earlier post. No ADF should be in with african cichlids. But actually the africans should go in the 55 and the ADF's in the 29 IMO.

hc8719 said:
i know clawed frogs get to be jerks when they get bigger, but he was still kinda small at the time, and i doubt he decided to snack on another frog, i think baby drowned and then clawed frog found him though

Actually, it is very possible that the little guy was still alive when the ACF found him. They will try to eat anything that can fit in their mouth.

Zagz said:
Definatly go for the 55 gal, sorry should have mentioned that in my earlier post. No ADF should be in with african cichlids. But actually the africans should go in the 55 and the ADF's in the 29 IMO.

I agree with Zagz.

i dunno rok, he was with the litte frog for awhile before the little guy died, but then again he was doing fine with 3 albino cherry barbs for 2 weeks when he decided eat two of them in the same hour

I have 3 adfs and I keep them in a tiny 3 gallon tank of their own. Everything I read says they do much better in a shallow little species only tank. my 30 gallon cube at 20 inches high is really too tall, and the fish would devour their food before they found it.. even in their little tank, when I put defrosted mysis shrimp or blood worms on their "feeding rock" it takes them 10 minutes to find it.. NO mysis shrimp or blood worm last 10 minutes in my community tank

if you dont mind sticking your arm elbow deep into the tank, i hand feed my albino frog, break off a piece of blood worm cube (bite size for them) and rub it in their face, mine greedly takes it, plus it guarantees he gets his share, and i dont have to worry about 100 blood worms floating all over the bottom, some people also turkey baste the food to the frogs

while i dont think its great for them, they will occasionally take leftover flakes if their hungry enough

Back
Top Bottom