Murky tank! Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still have some water left to add to the tank, I'm waiting for the purified tank under the house to re-fill.

Please help me! Is there anything I can do???

Okay I'll try that and keep you posted then! I hope it works, or at least helps!

yea another pwc and vacum the gravel really good with decor and possibly plants in a bucket of tank water to avoid bacteria loss and just give the gravel very good vacum then fill up and let filter take care of it and if possible add some activated carbon to filter in a filter sock to clean up the rest

What's pwc? And I think i need to wait until the stuff in the water settles, here's another pic:

View attachment 79192

There's more visibility now, maybe an hour until it all settles down?

You know the worst part about this? I was told by the petco lady that after my tank got past all the spikes in levels and stuff that I wouldn't have to change the water EVER AGAIN!!! And my mom backed the lady up, so i stopped changing the water! It wasn't until siva (sorry if I slaughtered the spelling, or the name) told me the reasons why you need to change the water that I realized that my tank is in bad shape! There isn't much I can do about this until the water goes down.

Looks like "new tank syndrome" to me... Bacterial bloom... Will be beneficial in long run for your Beneficial Bacteria...
Happened to me with my first tank-- my 10g..
What are your parameters?

I don't have a testing kit, and the tank isn't new, I've had it in a nice LOOKING condition for almost a year now. I was told not to change the water by a petco lady, and then someone on here explained that I should change the water and why. I emptied it about halfway and the stuff in the water came out of the gravel. So mad at petco and their stupid (insert angry insult here) sales clerks!!!

Don't have a water tasting kit (was told I didn't need one)
Havnt changed the water in a long time (was told I didn't need to after the tank was balanced)
The tank is not new (have had it for a year)
I have a pleco, so it's not algae (I already know he needs a bigger tank (was told he didn't though))
All the stuff in the water came out of the gravel when I moved the decor around and had to dig under for a few of them

A petco lady told me all this crap in the parenthesis, and look where it got me. Here's another pic of my poor tank:

View attachment 79193

I basically posted the same thing twice, sorry, the first one said "request timed out" so I wrote it all down again. *sigh*

those are the residues and excrete from the aquarium bottom that you havent cleaned for such a long time. just wait for it to get settled down overnight - that happens to me too when i changed water in my old aquarium. it'll subside as time goes.

but if it wouldnt, buy the chemical fluid that makes the water crystal clear. the chemicals had compunds in them that binds the residue altogether. just remember to put the dosage to to the ratio of your aquarium gallon. it doesnt work overnight but have patience and keep the filter as maximum as possible.

Okay your anwser makes sense, I'll do that. I think everything will be okay of it continues to settle ^^

yea its just a bunch of .....well to put it nicely fish waste thats settled in and on the gravel best thing to do is let the filter pick up some of it and what it doesnt do another pwc (partial water change) and vacum the rocks really good and then rince the filter in a bucket of the tank water your taking out very well (do not use tap water will kill bb)and with weekly maintance along with a couple extra water changes inbetween you tank should clean up and look very nicely again and be health to boot

Okay, firstly, what's BB mean? I get the rest of what you're saying, and I agree ^^

lol okay still best to use the aquarium water that your removing to rince the filter off with as not to shock the good bacteria and have a mini cycle or anything

Waiting for this thing to fill up...practicing patience...this is harder than it looks...

View attachment 79211

Well, there isn't any bad chemicals in it, so its worth it ^^

Oh I can totally use the aquarium water! Just explaining what I use to re-fill the fish tank ^^

Back
Top Bottom