Murky tank! Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't handle a 50% water change every day, maybe closer to 30%, if that's acceptable. I also think my filter is broken, it appears to have stopped running altogether. This is a bad spot to be in :(

alia258 said:
I can't handle a 50% water change every day, maybe closer to 30%, if that's acceptable. I also think my filter is broken, it appears to have stopped running altogether. This is a bad spot to be in :(

What size is your tank?

Move the filter tube up and down and refit it in it's place.. Sometimes the impeller gets loose when it gets turned off...

alia258 said:
My tank is a 10g

The reason for 50% PWC as a general rule during cycling or spikes is it cuts the high readings in half...
Are you able to spend a fee extra minutes and do a 50% instead of 30%? Your fish will thank you during cycling..,

LOL Wow I cant believe how much bad advice you got!! Good news is youre going to be fine. :) PWC means partial water change. Ideally you should always do them. In the meantime as suggested in another post, just use a gravel vac and pwc. Refill with clean water and let the filters run. Do another next week. And please, please invest in testing kits!!! At the bare minimum you should have kits for ph, ammonia, nitrites & nitrates.

Also I like to use Crystal Clear by Aquarium Products. Works pretty well and fast. I use only half a dose after my weekly pwc. Hope this helps!!

tsk tsk :( you should have just left your tank alone like what i told you. the residue in the water will clear on its own. now you will have to do the cycling with the new water again.

but anyway - we all learn from our mistakes! it would be a learning experience for the future ^_^

as long as the white sponge didnt get it under the tap and she declorinated the water with it just sitting there with water and declorinater you might actually be okay the declorinater might have had time to work and with out the filter running you might be okay but with out test kit none of us could know

We are buying a brand new filter tomorrow! Is it a good idea to just transfer the white sponge thing into the new filter, and then after a few weeks change it to the new white sponge thing?

My fish look so subdued without a water current:

Oops, forgot the pic. Here it is:

View attachment 79280

I took it from the smaller side of the tank, thought it might be a nice change, here it is from the front:

View attachment 79281

It's very quiet without the filter on...it feels weird, I'm so used to the sound it makes!

alia258 said:
We are buying a brand new filter tomorrow! Is it a good idea to just transfer the white sponge thing into the new filter, and then after a few weeks change it to the new white sponge thing?

Try to talk your mom into a water test kit too! Tell her you'll wash the dinner dishes for 2 weeks or something. :)

just take your old sponge thing and get it wet with declorinated water and right it out really good and i know the issue you just had gonna freak you out but some brown stuff should come out and thats the bb or you could just use your old oen forever if it the same filter type

I will but the same filter type, and plan on getting a test kit! (I'll have to pay for the test kit, and I might invest in a five gallon for the soon to be here guppy fry) so you basically want me to wash the white sponge in dechlorinated water before I put it in the new filter?

not if your getting the same filter just take it straight out and put it straight in the new filter and run it the reason i was saying to rince the old one out in the tank befor throwing it away is to get the majority of bb off and in the tank but if its the same type of filter you can just keep the brand new as a spare and put the old one directly (no rinsing at all) into the filter

Well that's great! Less work for me too! :) I am thinking about some cherry shrimp
In a seperate small container, and I'd like your ideas on that one! Here is a sad pic of the tank(cuz its nighttime, I will get a better pic tomorrow though):

View attachment 79302

And this is the same tank, but empty:

View attachment 79303

No they wont, I used a copper based treatment and copper is bad for the little suckers. Maybe if I clean the tank out enough with enough pwcs and the such, then I'll keep them in the main tank, but untill then, I'll keep them in there (if it's safe and they'll live alright)

Back
Top Bottom