My New 29 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ymookie22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All, I just set up my new 29 gallon tank. I was think of stocking 1 angel
4-5 Albino Cory catfish, 8 large platies, Mollies and Bristle nose. Would this be a good mix?
Thanks!

First is the tank cycled??? You need to do that and if you don't know how there is a section somewhere on the site that tells you. The stocking plan as a few issues. First, the mollys really need a larger tank and salt to maintain good health. Mollys should grow to about 3" at least, so 8 would be crowded. 8 platys would be pushing it a tad, but it is doable with good filtration and weekly water changes. The corys are fine and if you go with pandas or another smaller type you could go 6-7 easy. The bristle nose should be ok, I'd get an albino as they tend to be just a tad smaller. As for the angel, you may have a fin nipping issue. Angels all have very different personalities, kind of like male bettas. Some would be fine while others would be hell on wheels. If you go with an angel your best bet is to get the smallest one you can find and watch it like a hawk for the first year or so. You could also go with a pair of kribs, just for fun one normal, one albino. A dwarf gourami would work well or you could get a group of female bettas.

From your list it kind of looks like the middle of the tank would be empty. You may want to get a small school of harliquin rasboras or maybe cherry barbs. If you get an angel don't even think about the schooling fish.

P.M. me if you have questions or need to know where to get fish. Also, look up celestrial danios, may make a different plan once you do.

Hi HenningC, I am doing a dish in cycle with 2 black skirt tetra and 2 red eye tetras. They are they sole survivors from my 55 gallon community tank, fate having nipped everyone else to death. Thanks to AA, I now know the nipping was because I didn't have enough of them. I will have to post my water parameters when I get home from work. I am also using decorations and some of the gravel from my 55 gallon. I really have my heart set on an Angelfish, even if I can have only one and build around it. I thank you for your helpful suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

*Fish in cycle

*After having nipped, boy this auto correct...

Water Parameters
3/16
Ammonia 4.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0
PH 7.6

3/18
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
PH 6.0

Filter - Aqueon Quiet Flow 30
Temp 78 ( tank has only been set up since 3/15)

Just wanted to say "Thanks" to everyone for all of your help! My tank and my little fish friends are doing very well.

Back
Top Bottom