My Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fddlss

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone,

As I promised when I became a member of this forum, here's how I started in the hobby:

I wanted to have a little fish tank or bowl to decorate my room and/or house, I remember having a fish tank when I was about 5 years old, but I never thought that I would be so passionate about this hobby until I bought my first 10 gallon fish tank.

So... by October 2010, I bought my 10 G, gravel, dechlorinator, etc. Then, I cleaned the gravel and set up the tank as soon as I got home, with my girlfriend, and let it run for about 72 hours. Soon after, I found out that I almost overstocked my tank with 7 fish in a week, in an uncycled tank, so, when my tank's water started to get cloudy I freaked out, asked an expert online, and did a lot of research. The day after, I decided to go to Fish's Paradise (that was my first time going there -love that place) and trade in my fish (I didn't want the fish to die), after trading in my fish I started from scratch, it was a really hard decision but I had to do it.

I started looking for a fish tank around 30 gallons or more, initially I didn't wanted anything above 55 gallons, but it just took a few days to get excited and go for an aquarium above 100 gallons. I saw a few tanks from 75 to 180 gallons, E-mailed the sellers, and ended up buying a 110 gallon, its measurements are 61 x 18 x 23 1/2, not quite standard measurements, but whatever. The tank came with the stand, Coralife Aqualight 48" 4 x 65 watt CF fixture, overflow box, and acrylic wet/dry sump. The guy used it as a saltwater aquarium and I was planning to go with freshwater, so it took me a few weeks (I don't have a lot of free time) to clean the tank, sump, and stand, I also painted the tank's frames and stand with my dad and built the return line with PVC, I have pictures of all that that I might post later.

I had previously bought a 1056 EcoPlus Submersible pump, and got 100 pounds of dark blue gravel, a Python, and a few other maintenance accessories. By last week, I filled up the tank, siphoned the overflow's U tubes, and started the pump which is connected to a battery backup, in case of power failure (I also have the siphon hole on the return line).

Unfortunately, one and a half day after filling up the tank a leak appeared. I was lucky enough because the leak was a small one near the top, on one of the corners/edges, it took me 5 minutes to find the leak so I quickly removed about 40% of the water, dried the area and applied aquarium silicone over the leak (outside and inside of the tank) and about 3 inches below and above the leak, of course that didn't work and I had a huge leak in my living room 3 days after, the glass in the corner split apart. I tried to fix the aquarium outside my house by removing the old silicone (what I had to do in the first place) and adding new silicone but that didn't work either, I fixed it, let it dry for 24 hours, and when I filled it with water so that the silicone would finish curing under water it took 10 minutes and I had the same problem again, so I decided to get a new tank. Period.

I finally got a Perfecto 120 x High with corner-flos from my LFS and I had a professional repair the leaking tank, which will go to the storage for now.

A few months have passed and now I'm half way through my fishless cycle. I will be posting pics of my current tank and some other tanks that I have.

Well, I hope nobody felt as sleep while reading this, but this is just another thing that shows how passionate I am about the hobby, I'm sure many of you have a similar story.

Back
Top Bottom