My Water Parameters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgarMedina1010

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tested my water and heres the results, they look normal to me but my phosphate is kinda high... Nitrite-0 Ammonia-0 Nitrate-15 PH-7.2 KH-3 Phosphate-5.0(Maybe More)...How do I lower my Phosphate?

Have you tested your tap water to see what the level of phosphate is? If it's lower than your tank, I would do a major (%50) water change.

Have you been doing regular water changes? Or have you just been topping the tank off when it evaporates?

SparKy697 said:
Have you tested your tap water to see what the level of phosphate is? If it's lower than your tank, I would do a major (%50) water change.

Have you been doing regular water changes? Or have you just been topping the tank off when it evaporates?
Yeah i did test my water...and it came became between .25-.5 ......I always do 30-35% PWC on sundays....I will do a 50% PWC tommorrow...THanks

The question that I have is where is all the phosphate coming from?

Is this a planted tank? Are you adding ferts?

What type of test kit are you using? Strips or liquid?

SparKy697 said:

If this is the same tank in Edgar's "mytank" profile, it is planted.

You may want to look at your foods since they are a source of phosphates as well.

SparKy697 said:

Yes, its a planted tank,and yes to the ferts, and im using liquid test kits...and i only feed twice a day,I feed them TetraColor tropical flakes, freeze-dried bloodworms, and Aquarian sinking algae Chips. I wil try to cut down feeding a little more. Also another question how much dosing should i be doing? Right now i only dose twice a week, once after a PWC and one on Thursday (I do PWC's on Sundays). I have Seachem Potassium, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Iron, and Flourish Trace...

you say you are dosing, but how do you know how much to dose? you either need to do a test before every dose to find out how much is needed, or you need to dose according to EI and do a 50% water change every week without fail. it looks like you are putting way too much phosphate in.

SparKy697 said:
Can you give the amounts you are feeding?
How much light in the tank?
How heavy are you planted?
Im sure i was over feeding, I was being too dramatic, because I got neons and a dwarf gourami so the gourami eats most of it, so i would feed them what they could eat in like 10 minutes,,, i have cut down feeding, and i will test my phosphates in a while. theres 2 CF 10 watt bulbs....so 20 watts total.(not very high)...as far as how heavy the tank is planted, i would say its medium-heavily planted.
zenkatydid said:
you say you are dosing, but how do you know how much to dose? you either need to do a test before every dose to find out how much is needed, or you need to dose according to EI and do a 50% water change every week without fail. it looks like you are putting way too much phosphate in.
Ok sorry about this dumb question but whats 'EI'?. So I should do a 50% water change? I usually do a 30-35%..Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom