Mysterious disappearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquasamurai

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I just don't understand what's going on.

I found one of my neon tetras on the floor this morning. And then I realized one of my rummy nose is gone. I thought it died and was partially consumed by other fish or by my RCS but I found no clue.

What do you think is going on?

Hi guys,

I just don't understand what's going on.

I found one of my neon tetras on the floor this morning. And then I realized one of my rummy nose is gone. I thought it died and was partially consumed by other fish or by my RCS but I found no clue.

What do you think is going on?
Literaly on you're floor or on the gravel/sand/rock?

Hi guys,

My fish was actually on the floor of my room.

I do have a lid but I removed it a few days ago.

Sure,

But then where did my rummy go? I can't find it anywhere

Sometimes they get eaten and the skeleton gets sucked into the filter. RCS might eat an entire carcass not sure

RCS will devour a dead fish in no time flat, especially if you have a group if them. However I am still not convinced your rummy isn't on the floor somewhere, or a walk, curtain, window sill, shoe.....

Yes once found a goldfish under a dresser all the way to the rear wall, a good 2.5 feet out of sight, covered in dust bunnies

He survived!

I just put the lid back on.

I have 7 RCS in my tank so I wouldn't be surprised if they devoured my rummy. (But my fully grown rummy was in a very healthy condition...)

Do you guys know what causes fish to jump out? Do they jump out of the tank when they are under stress?

I haven't checked for a month, I used up all my testing kit...ill do a quick water change now.

I wasn't too worried about the water quality because rummys nose was very red and didn't seem stressed.

Was there any possible bully fish in with him?

Btw what size tank with what other fish etc? Temperature?

I don't think I have a bully in my 17G tank but this orange-ish pink fish (with two barely visible gray horizontal stripes) tends to be rambunctious. Can't identify it.

I still can't find my rummy in my room, I remember rummy is quite aggressive when its out of water so it might have jumped out the window (jk) but I'm only afraid it attracts cockroaches and flies to my room if its still in my room. Otherwise it's really been eaten by my RCS. :<

The water temp is 24 to 26 C.

Hi
Fish do jump out because see of water quality issues like high ammonia, nitrite. Have you the quality of the water lately?
That's not true or at most partially. My oscar jumped all the time, my parameters were fine so did my goldfish. Its a speciality un some fish.

You should do PWCs once a week, whether you test or not.

Fish jump if they are startled by ; noise, light, aggression, etc...

I have a rimless without a top, but I have lots of plants so my fish never jump out so far in over a year.

You should do PWCs once a week, whether you test or not.

Fish jump if they are startled by ; noise, light, aggression, etc...

I have a rimless without a top, but I have lots of plants so my fish never jump out so far in over a year.
Startled when no one is there?

Startled when no one is there?

Other fish are there. People drop things in other parts of the house that vibrate the floor. Lights can shine in through doors, windows. Etc...

Bad fish dreams ;)

Fish jump as a reflex in the wild.

My lights are on timers. Partly so my fish have a routine and don't startle as easily.

At Petsmart, every morning after I flipped on tank lights I'd check for any fish that may have jumped out. I found fish on occasion. If they'd just jumped they lived. I found a few that had jumped overnight :( This wasn't a daily thing. I worked there 3 years.

Thank you guys for some insights.

I feel somewhat better to hear that it happens elsewhere, but I wanna do something about it if the algae/shrimp/water quality/tank setting is stressing my fish.

Maybe my 16W x 4 T5 light and my 3W x 6 LED are too much for them. Something else I wanna ask you guys about, is it too bright for them? I know it is for rummy but otherwise...?

Back
Top Bottom