Nano 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 20 tall I am thinking about making a nano tank out of. Here are my thoughts. Suggestions very welcome.

2 Crocodile Toothpicks (Indostomus paradoxu)
Lots of shrimp (Red Cherry, Tiger, maybe a flower shrimp)
1 or 2? Mexican Dwarf Crayfish (CPO, Cambarellus Patzcuarensis var. orange)
1 Thai Micro Crab (Limnopilos naiyanetri)
4 Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario)
8 Chilli, South Thailand, or Harlquien Rasboras (brigittae,
Borasas sp., and Trigonostigma heteromorpha respectively)

So any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks and God bless!

You'll probably want more than 1 thai crab. I have only 1 at the moment and I see it like once every couple months.

I wouldn't expect the crays to bother thai crabs, but they do have a serious size advantage over them, so it's possible. Otherwise you could a few pairs of crays if you wanted.

You could do many more dario dario and boraras brigittae than that, if you want. In a 20 gal you could easily do 30 of the rasboras and 8-10 of the badis.

A flower shrimp is a filter feeder, and likes to be stocked in groups or atleast pairs. For a 20 gal I would recommend a pair. I would let the tank mature for several months before adding them, and supplement them with a food for filter feeding inverts.

I've read the crocodile toothpicks eat only live foods, but I don't know for sure if that's true.

Oh and also, if you go with a larger rasbora like the harlequin, 8 would be a great number. :)

Thanks Siva. Sorry I wasnt ever good at patience lol Now would you suggest the littlerasboras or the harlquiens?

BTW I have heard ALOT of people talk about the chilli rasboras but what about the South Thailand ones? Any info on them? I think they are sweeeeet!

That's boraras naevus I think. They are very pretty, but the males more so than the females. I think brigittae are the most stunning if the microrasboras though. I'm also fond of microrasbora kubotai.

I would definitely go for microrasboras to keep everything in the sort of nano theme. :)

That's boraras naevus I think. They are very pretty, but the males more so than the females. I think brigittae are the most stunning if the microrasboras though. I'm also fond of microrasbora kubotai.

I would definitely go for microrasboras to keep everything in the sort of nano theme. :)
Are there any that are not red? Everything is leaning toward red on my stockingf list lol

What about the microrasbora kubotai? Pictures don't do them justice. They are a really pretty green.

Those are pretty! Anything blue? I could do 2 or 3 schools...

Hmm...not many blue nano fish that I can think of. The dario dario should give a little splash of blue though. You could look for a Endler variety with lots of blue. You could do blue shrimp like blueberry or blue pearls. :)

Nah...they are pretty big..and a bit nippy too. I wouldn't pair them with dario dario..I think they'd be scared to death.

I cant find a blue shrimp that wont interbreed with rcs. I ususally dont mind hybrids but supposedly shrimp hybrids are hideous lol But I got really really good news!!! I got a dwarf crayfish today!!!

Orange eye blue tigers won't interbreed with RCS, but they are pricey and more difficult to keep.

Really that's cool..is it an orange CPO?

Yeah, I'd like to see some of those in person. In photos they seem to look rather lame for their price tag.

Yes the CPO is orange. His colors are coming out more now that he is home. He has stripes. He is pretty but he is alittle teritorial. Hasnt hurt anyone yet though. I fdont think he will. He pinches at them though lol
Are tiger shrimp in general harder to keep?

Oh it's a CPO..awesome. Cute little buggers. He does sound like a male. They are very territorial but I've never lost a fish to one. Or had one injured.

Do you mean OEBT or regular tiger shrimp? OEBT are harder to keep, yes. They should thrive in soft acidice water.

I haven't bred them intentionally, but I have had hybrids of BPS(blue pearls) and RCS.

Oh it's a CPO..awesome. Cute little buggers. He does sound like a male. They are very territorial but I've never lost a fish to one. Or had one injured.

Do you mean OEBT or regular tiger shrimp? OEBT are harder to keep, yes. They should thrive in soft acidice water.

I haven't bred them intentionally, but I have had hybrids of BPS(blue pearls) and RCS.
I meant regular tigers. Did you hybrids look hideous like everyone says?

Back
Top Bottom