Native "Minnow" ID from Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jed1154

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering if someone knew a place on the net with pictures of native small fishes, like mummis, minnows, etc. I went today to get some local fish and managed to catch some different looking minnows. The most striking characteristic is that they are very SHINY, like they have a mirror in them shiny. One of the larger ones has a black dot at the base of his tail. Also, their tails make a distinctive "V" shape at the back. If i had to describe them any better, they look like a rummy nosed tetra without the bright colors and a bit larger. The heads are more rounded than normal.

jed1154....

Did the fish you found look anything like this:

1424.JPG
\

If so then you've found the Inland Silverside, Menidia beryllina, which is a fairly common fish in many Texas lakes. Unfortunately, like most other members of their family, they have a tendency to die fairly quickly after they have been captured. I've never successfully transferred any to an aquarium and had them live more than a day or two.

-Joe

THATS HIM!

I went to the site, he doesnt quite fit the habitat description, but i think that is him.

Where on the site can i go to see other minnows and small fish? I found the fish ID part, but no minnows.

Back
Top Bottom