Please, help me identify

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I unfortunately don't have any pictures of the particular fish, so I will have to describe it. I saw these fish yesterday while visiting a fort (they were in the moat). I have a native tank at home and would love to have some, but don't know what they are. The adults were about 3 inches long and had the body shape of a killifish, with rounded fins. The color of the body was grey, with a bright yellow under belly and a bright yellow edge on all the fins. It also had some yellow dots near the tail. They were jumping out of the water to catch bugs on the wall. Does anybody know what they could be?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have tried that site and every other website. Everything I find on fish identification is about big game fish (bass, trout, etc.). I'll keep looking.

How big? And where do you live? It helps to have a location and approximate size.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

The adults were about 3 inches long. It's coastal Georgia. The marshes.

Where do you live? North America has 2 native killifish. Most commonly seen are the bait fish variety that are brackish. I forget the other species in one of my aquarium books.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Where do you live? North America has 2 native killifish. Most commonly seen are the bait fish variety that are brackish. I forget the other species in one of my aquarium books.

Coastal Georgia. A guy that works there told me they come in with the tide (they are marshes), so they may be brackish. I wonder if they would let me catch them from the fort. I would be the weirdo with a net and a bucket while everyone else is enjoying the historic site. Lol

They are sometimes called mud minnows. Not particularly hard to catch or raise. A tank of between 1.010-1.030 will keep them happy. They are like all killifish though and short lifespans.

Back
Top Bottom