Need advice to provide for my Green Spotted Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cashimus20

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ive had my juvenile puffer for a little over a week now and he seems content with with his 5 gallon home. Before you accuse me of fish cruelty know that the tank was properly cycled established just for this little guy. The tank is fully decorated and has a 5-15 gallon tetra filter, a hood, proper lighting, and a reliable heater. When establishing my puffer's "brackish" water I attempted to replicate the same water conditions he was housed in at the LFS. The salesman sold me fresh water aquarium salt and instructed me to add 3&1/2 tbs. to my cycled 5 gallon tank. So far so good; however, after doing some research I realize my little buddy is going to require a larger tank and "marine" water after he progresses through adolescence.

So my question is how long can I keep my puffer in his current habitat before I need to move him to a larger tank? Also, could a 10 gallon tank with bio-wheel filtration, hood and lighting, and moving water serve as a permanent home for my little friend? If so should I wait until he matures a little before acclimating him to his new "marine" habitat?

P.s other online sources insist that my tiny lonesome puffer will need 40 gallons to himself! This seems outrageous for a habitat for a single fish.

Ill upload a picture of him soon to give readers an idea of just how small the little guy is.

40g is a good home for a green spotted puffer since they will grow to the size of a 6inch nerf football. Its pretty big if you can hold a 6 inch nerf football up to a 40g tank. You might think its silly to have a 6 inch fish in a 40g tank, but you will understand if your puffer reaches a bigger size.

I would upgrade to a bigger tank as soon as possible. In fact, it would be easier if you just set your next tank up as a saltwater tank instead of going brackish. 10g would still be too small. We are trying to prevent "stunting" the fish.

Feel free to ask more about future tank setups.

I keep my green spotted puffer in a 36 gallon bowfront by himself. He is about 2.5 to 3 inches long, so still fairly young. He is so much happier in his bigger tank than the 15 gallon I started him in. He did a lot of glass surfing, and was more shy in the smaller tank than he is now.
I would not leave him in a tank that size for too long, Pickle has grown close to an inch in the 2 months I have had him, and he definitely needs his big tank.
Also, you should consider going brackish now, as it will be better for your fish, even if he is still a juvenile. Use marine salt, not regular aquarium salt, and as previously stated, he will thrive in higher backish water, and really should be housed as full marine when he is an adult.
Best of luck with your little guy, they are such fun awesome little personalities!

Puffy

Can someone confirm for me that this is in fact not a dwarf puffer...because the LFS sold it to me as a "Dwarf puffer" knowing I wouldn't be able to care for him long term in his current 5 gallon tank. Which really grinds my gears.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 125
Nice green spotted puffer.

Using trade names is often confusing. When someone says "dwarf puffer", then it literally means small puffer. A baby green spotted puffer is a dwarf :p

Shame on your LFS for misleading you. Or they did not know any better. These employees are often not educated on all aspects of freshwater and brackishwater puffers - most are paid minimum wage, so we can't really depend on their guidance.

If the dollar-per-gallon sale ever comes back, then check out the 40g or 55g tank for $40 and $55, respectively. Those tanks are not that big IMO, easy to care.

Make the best out of it ;), if anything you may want to rehome your puffer.

Thankyou for all the advice. I'm set on trying to keep this little guy. Bear with me, I know the general consensus is he needs a 40 gallon tank at full maturity, but what if i kept him in a 20 gallon extra high tank for about a year until I have the means to establish a 40 gallon (With a marineland eclipse one hood 2 power filters a heater "marine" water and bio-wheel technology.)

I had the marineland eclipse hood 2 and 3. They are very weak IMO. Your money can be better spent on a good HOB filter like an aquaclear 70 (better with 110 IMO).

Back
Top Bottom