need help with fish id... flying fox? siamese algae eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caenus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to the forums... was hoping to get some help id'ing these fish I just recently purchased. I'm not 100% sure if they are a flying fox, or siamese algae eater, or maybe something completely different.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• sm1_146.jpg
    sm1_146.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 49
  • sm2_781.jpg
    sm2_781.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 191
  • sm3_213.jpg
    sm3_213.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 200
I'm gonne vote SAEs. It appears the black stripe extends all the way onto the tailfin. Do they have little barbels/whiskers on their noses?

They have two tiny black "hairs" or whiskers by their mouths. Might be a barbel. Their mouths look more like a cory cat (pointy with two tiny whiskers) rather than a pleco (with a sucker)

I am going to vote SAE as well, esp. if they only have one pair of barbels.

They look just like my SAE's when they are babies. The black at the tail was indistinct as frys (just like the pic), but get more obvious as they grew. Also, the lenticulated scales & barbels (the other distingusishing features) were not too visible until they are a couple of inches long.

Balck stripe in tail and the clear finage , my vote is for real SAE

The photos are a bit close so perhaps they look smaller than they really are. My guess is they are about 1-1.5" long. The four of them do seem to hang out with one another as well.

The were marked as flying foxes at the store but they looked like SAE to me so I bought them. I was hoping to get some SAEs to help with my algae.

Thanks everyone, seems everyone is voting for SAE.

If they have one barbel on each side of the mouth, they are true siamese algae eaters. The clear fins and faint stripe through the tailfin, which can be seen in the pictures, are the other distinctive characteristics. I recently picked up 2 of them and have noticed they don't particularly like eating hair algae as they're supposedly known for doing. What they do like is eating the foods the other fish are fed. Won't buy any more. Prefer having ottos more.

Back
Top Bottom