Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I currently have a 37 gal community tank, I also just purchased a 75 gal tank that I'm not 100% on what I'm going to do with it yet but I'm waiting till I move to set it up. I'm also getting another 30 gal long from a friend. I'm thinking of starting a saltwater tank with the 30 long now but I was told I need to purchase a 3 stage filter for it, so I was thinking a canister. My question is, can mix equipment from a saltwater tank to a freshwater tank down the road? Or do I have to purchase all new stuff when setting up my 75?

I will say everyone has told me that if you do saltwater, the minimum tank size you want is 55, due to the fluctuating salinity and other factors I am not that well versed on. If you are doing a brackish water aquarium, the old saltwater stuff will be fine, unless it is corals or something like that.

I will say everyone has told me that if you do saltwater, the minimum tank size you want is 55, due to the fluctuating salinity and other factors I am not that well versed on. If you are doing a brackish water aquarium, the old saltwater stuff will be fine, unless it is corals or something like that.

No. You can have a 1g sw tank if you want. A 30L is an excellent choice because its low for vitals and long for fish. I wish I could get my hands on one. The reason they say go bigger is because if its your first sw tank then its all new and you won't get blown away by a slight change in the chemical balance but that's with sw or fw.

So any equipment I use in my saltwater would be ok to use in a fresh water? Pretty much just rinse it like crazy

No. You can have a 1g sw tank if you want. A 30L is an excellent choice because its low for vitals and long for fish. I wish I could get my hands on one. The reason they say go bigger is because if its your first sw tank then its all new and you won't get blown away by a slight change in the chemical balance but that's with sw or fw.

Yes you can have a 1 gallon saltwater but your salinity and everything else will be very volatile. If you can stay on it, go for it but lot of people say to do at least 55 to have a more stable environment.

Don't get me wrong I am not in any way steering you from saltwater. I love saltwater tanks. Just wash the crap out of your equipment if you chose to use it. Good luck!

Yes you can have a 1 gallon saltwater but your salinity and everything else will be very volatile. If you can stay on it, go for it but lot of people say to do at least 55 to have a more stable environment.

Only if you don't know what your doing. A 30L is perfect for sw

Only if you don't know what your doing. A 30L is perfect for sw

Knowing what you are doing or not you still have to stay on top of it and watch it more closely than a larger tank. That is why it is harder to care for a smaller tank, freshwater or saltwater, than a larger tank. That is all I am trying to say.

Knowing what you are doing or not you still have to stay on top of it and watch it more closely than a larger tank. That is why it is harder to care for a smaller tank, freshwater or saltwater, than a larger tank. That is all I am trying to say.

Yes and I'm agreeing with you on.that 100% but you can still choose whatever tank you would like and should take into consideration the ammount of care needed either way before hand

Yes and I'm agreeing with you on.that 100% but you can still choose whatever tank you would like and should take into consideration the ammount of care needed either way before hand

Agreed. Incisions, sorry for getting away from your question. Just wash it as much as you possibly can and it should be fine. Good luck with your tanks! Let us know how it goes!

Thanks! This would be my first saltwater tank so I'm looking forward to it. It'll Deff be a learning experience and I'll be coming to these forums for lots of help

I have found this forum very helpful and a lot of nice people on here. Don't be afraid to ask questions as that is the whole purpose of forums! Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom