Need some advice on algae issue on 5g.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

I have a question about a 5g Betta tank I currently have. About a week ago, I noticed some small thin strands of algae on the tank. I wiped them off with the last pwc, figuring it was normal.

Over the past few days, I noticed that the sponge that I'm using as a filter turned green, there are a few small brownish circles of what looks like an algae on the inside of the tank and now I noticed some of the plant leaves have brown circles on them. I haven't tried to wipe them off, but they look like they could be the actual leaves and not algae on them, so it may be different issues. This is primarily on the anubias. Originally, I had them planted in the substrate and found out they needed to be above. So I tied them to a rock and it began the next day or so...

The tank is about a month old, did not go through a proper cycle (didnt' know better), but "fish" as my daughter named him, seems to be doing fine. I added 3 ghost shrimp over the weekend to help with clean up duty.

I have a 75 gallon that I'm currently doing a fishless cycle on, but other than that, this is all new to me. I've learned the proper way to deal with cycling a tank, now it's time to learn how to identify and deal with algae :)

The tank is a 5g, one betta, 3 gs, 4 live plants and eco-complete substrate. I treat the water with nova and aqua. Do weekly 25% pwc's and have the light on approximately 10 hrs a day. Heater maintains a 78 degree temp and the filter hasn't been touched since the tank was started up.

So any and all advice on what to do at this point would be greatly appreciate.

Mog

Thanks for the link neilanh!

From there, the "Fuzz algae" is what I had/have on the inside of the tank. I wiped it off and it's been gone for the most part.

They don't show anything else that looks like what may be on the plants or on the inside now. The plants might just be dying? As far as the inside of the tank, it almost looks like small, light, brown mold that's expanding in areas... the size of the pea. And a few here and there...

I'll take some pictures tonight and post them.

The sponge is a bright green now... I'm guessing I should replace that asap?

For the Fuzz algae, they state it can be a nutrient imbalance or low co2. Since this is a 5g with a standard filter, what should I do to help that issue?

So much to learn... :) Hopefully I can get this resolved and get fish's enviornment cleaned up.

Pics will follow this evening and I'll cut down on the lighting to start.

I just came home and the algae has gotten a lot worse... hoping you guys can tell me what to do at this point.

Here are some pictures...

Please note that the cave is artificial and did have a green algae look to it when purchased. The brown spots though were not there... and those are what I have on the inside walls as well. I tried to get a picture of them on the walls, but that was impossible.

The sponge that I'm using as a baffle for the filter, is a bright green... looks almost as green as the anubias now.

Thanks,

Mog

Attachments

• algae.jpg
    algae.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 58
  • leaves2.jpg
    leaves2.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 73
  • leaves.jpg
    leaves.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 66
  • glass.jpg
    glass.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 60
It appears as though your tank is suffering a diatom outbreak. It is very normal in newly established tanks. At this point, I would not worry too much about. Just keep up with water changes (or maybe even do a few extra for the next week or so). You may also do 50% instead of 25%. Often times, they go away as fast as they came. In the mean time, just get a toothbrush or something similar and brush it off. You can brush it off the plant leaves too, but just be gentle. It might also help some if you reduce your lighting to 8 hrs a day for awhile. If the problem persists after a week or two of brushing them off, then it may be time to explore other options, and potential excess nutrient sources that can contribute to their growth.

On another note, I see a plant in your tank that is not a true aquatic. It is commonly sold as "aquafern" (T. javanicum) but it is a marginal or bog plant. It will not survive long term submerged in your tank. It will eventually start to rot and die, and will foul the water.

Thanks fort384! I was hoping that's all it was... but again, being my first time down this road, I was a little concerned.

I'll pull the aquafern out... it was a petsmart plant and it was NOT marked semi-aquatic... guess I should have looked it up.

I'll clean the tank and plants tonight and do a 50% water change. I typically do a 25% on Sundays, but I'll do one mid week and on Sundays until it clears.

One last questions... what should I do about the sponge I'm using as a baffle? Should I leave it in there until it clears and then replace it or should I replace it tonight after doing the pwc?

Thanks for help,

Mog

Why do you have the sponge in there? Do you think it is impeding the flow at all? Lack of circulation can contribute to a diatom issue, and you may not need the sponge at all.

I have a sponge mounted to the output, to help reduce the flow in the tank for the Betta.

It shouldn't be impeding the actual filter output, just the flow from the filter into the actual tank.

I cleaned the tank, did a 50% water change and didn't suck up any ghost shrimp in the process!

Excellent. Sorry, I missed the betta. Sounds like you should be fine. I would just leave it in. If you think it is dirty, just squeeze it out in the old tank water you take out during a pwc.

Thanks, I read a similar article which shows the process in detail. I opted for the sponge to avoid the sharp edges.

Here's the mentioned article, where they also mention the sponge and have pics of both methods.

Step-By-Step Filter Baffle - Page 4

I'm familiar with the sponge method but I think bacteria (the bad kind) grows on the sponge so I don't prefer it. Like my kitchen sponges I throw in the dishwasher but the bettas sponge there is no way to sanitize it except for constantly replacing it. I cut the soda bottle carefully and round any corners and have no probs. ;)

first of all, i love the tank :)

second, from the pictures it looks like it could be in a place with a lot of natural sunlight. direct or even indirect sunlight will promote algae growth. if it is getting hit by the sun, you may want to think about moving the tank.

third, if you can't manually remove the algae, you could try a full blackout for a couple days to kill it off (wrap the tank in dark or thick material and leave the lights off for two days)

I agree it looks exactly like my betta sorority tank did that has the filter baffled and gets indirect sunlight alot of the day. I was able to get it under control with 3 nerite snails.

I don't think a blackout will help much with diatoms. It works wonders for green algae.

Back
Top Bottom