need some stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris86

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am redoing a 235g tank at work that has looked like crap since I started there. I have a mamba tank at home. So they are letting me take over the tank. They want a colorful tank with the fish. I just donno what to put in it they don't wand cichlids or aggressive tank some schooling fish maybe. I was thinking a huge guppy tank cause the color. What would you all recommend.

This is a picture of my tank at home

Attachments

• 20140115_182603.jpg
    20140115_182603.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 107
What about a bunch of swordtails(the all red ones are absolutely gorgeous), guppies, cories, rummy noses, maybe some gourami's, and I know you said no cichlids but electric blue rams ?

235g, how can you pass up the chance to have full size clown loaches?

They are just wanting a lot of color in the tank when I started they had 6 tiger barbs in it and it looked like a swamp. So im looking at a community tank bit not alot of money into fish they have had problems before of it starting to go down hill real bad and this is pretty much the last attempt. I like the tank and would make a really nice AAfrian tank but would just be to much money. I have a price cap so trying to keep on the ccheaper side

How about freshwater sharks clown leaches denison barbs and could rams go in there to. I just want a lot of movement and they dont want to spend alot of money on it. Here is a picture 9f it I dont have alot to work with this is what I have came up with. With what I have to work with and my money limit.

Attachments

• 20140124_170410.jpg
    20140124_170410.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 88
I'm not sure but I think balas need bigger tanks or they get aggressive or they need groups, I don't rememeber. But if you add a lot more caves and hiding places I think about 4 rainbows/redtails could work along with the rams.

Denisons barbs are amazing fish. How about a couple fancy pleco species. Then maybe a couple pairs of rams or apistogramma trios. Several corydoras species and a large group of 1-2 tetras.

I wanted to add more stuff but with the limited money to go in the tank im limited.

You could wait for neon/cardinals/or any of the cheaper tetras to go on sale and buy like 30-40 of each.

Wow! What a tank! With that size you can do just about anything but also more tank can mean more money. I kind of think the suggestion of lots of livebearers would be a cool thing. Not real expensive and they can help stock the tank themselves. Watching all the young ones grow and color up is fun too. OS.

So would a few bala angels and then some other kinda schooling fish work in this tank.

You could do something like this:
10 Denison barbs
20 cardinal tetras
20 harlequin tetras
20 rummy nose tetras
3 clown loaches
2-4 gold gouramis
1 long finned bn pleco

That is off the top of my head. Don't know if it would be overstocked or under stocked but there would be plenty of color!!! Gold gouramis and clown loaches would really pop in this tank!!!

You could do something like this:
10 Denison barbs
20 cardinal tetras
20 harlequin tetras
20 rummy nose tetras
3 clown loaches
2-4 gold gouramis
1 long finned bn pleco

That is off the top of my head. Don't know if it would be overstocked or under stocked but there would be plenty of color!!! Gold gouramis and clown loaches would really pop in this tank!!!

I punched it into aqadvisor.com and it says that it's only 96% stocking level. So if you like this stock you could go with it! The website did say that the gold gouramis may be to aggressive for the small fish schools. If you would be worried about that you could do a couple of dwarf gourami and some make swordtails would always bring a lot of color!!!

Ok so do to what people want for the tank I ended up with 5 bala sharks yesterday. So now my question is would a group of 20or a few more of cardinal or neon tetras work as a sec group to add

well you said you don't want to spend to much money, so i would not get does denison barbs for they are really expensive and since they like to school you need at least 6 in that big tank! these go for more or less 30 bucks each. why not try some nice angel fish (6), geophagus red head tapajos (3), german blue rams (6), cardinal tetras (10+), rummy nose tetras (10+), bristle nose plecos (4+), and clown loaches (4+)? i would start these as small ones and watch them grow because these get really expensive the bigger they are! this is just suggestion since you don't want to spend to much.... electric blue rams go for 30 a piece to so you are better off with the german blues but if you want you could get an electric blue just to add more color!

I'm not to familiar with Bala sharks but I know they get big and there is a great chance that once they are big enough they will eat your cardinals or neons.

Also you can find Denison barbs for much cheaper then $30!! At my pet smart they sell them anywhere from $8 to $12. At my petco they go for $12. And at my lfs they go for $12.99. I have seen them for $20+ but I just don't/won't buy those ones!!!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok so one of the 5 balas did not make the move was kinda worried about it but thought it might pull though and it didnt. So tomorrow im going and exchanging it for another one. And would like to introduced a school of fish tomorrow to but I donno between neon tetras or giant danios what would you all recommend between them two. Also how many would a good number be and would like something that is mid tank since the balas are bottom dwellers.

Back
Top Bottom