neon tetra question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollymama

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking into getting some neon tetras to (re)stock my daughter's 10 gallon tank. (We just lost our molly.) I have read 6 is a good number as they are schooling fish, and with a 10 gallon I don't think I should add more than that. Thoughts? Would a 10 gallon be ok for 6 of these fish? And should I add 2-3 at a time in the beginning? Also, I have food left over from our mollies. Can I use that with tetras?

Sorry for all the questions. But I've learned not to ask the pet store folks ANYTHING. I just want to go in and buy the fish...no talking beyond that. :)

Yes 6 is good but id go 7. Also, maybe some shrimp? Also, add maybe 3 in the beginning, and 4 more a werk later if the firat 3 are all alive. I think that food would be good, is it flakes?

Thanks!
It's flakes...multi-colored stuff that doesn't say it's specified for any particular fish type.

I hadn't thought about that...would the shrimp be for show or are they beneficial to the tank with tetras in it?

Nice little cleaners. Also they look good, breed easily, and take up almost no bioload. I must warn you though, with say 7 tetras, they wont really school in a 10 g by them selves. Theyll probably explore the tank individually

I agree with neons they are great and shrimp are easy would work great for a 10g and would clean up un eaten food!

Now you guys have me thinking about shrimp...lol. I'm hijacking my daughter's tank! :)

Another question...we got 3 neons today (cute little buggers!). Of course while we were at the store, we started looking at other fish. Can I mix tetras? There were some blackskirts and bloodfins that we liked. The blackskirts look quite a bit bigger, though, but the bloodfins seemed comparable in size to the neons. Could I add 3 of either of these types to the 10 gallon?

Nope. Black skirts need a much bigger tank. They get sort of big as far as tetras go. IMO, bloodfins should be in at least a 20 gallon tank. Also, you should get at least of 4 of any schooling fish, but with neons (and most other tetras) I would recommend 6-7. :)

Back
Top Bottom